Home » Sports

Should LeBron James stay or play?

Submitted by on June 6, 2007 – 9:50 am10 Comments

james.jpg

LeBron James with his first son, LeBron Jnr

As if the NBA finals weren’t big enough, 22-year-old LeBron James has another major event in his life coming up.

His high school sweetheart, Savannah Brinson, is expecting their second son on June 17 – when his team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, are scheduled to host Game 5 of the NBA finals.

Cleveland’s All-Star forward, enjoying the highest point of his professional career, has said that if Savannah goes into labor at the time of the game, he will not be joining her.

“My family understands what’s going on,” LeBron said. “We’ve sat down and talked and we know how important this is for me and how important I am to my teammates. Savannah knows that and she knows if there’s an opportunity I can be there, I will. And if not, I’m going to support my teammates. She understands.”

Here at DrJays.com, we’ve discussed whether or not LeBron’s decision to miss his child’s birth is right or wrong – what do you guys think?

Info: San Diego Union Tribune

• BayArea4Life says:

Man…he already has one kid…let him play I say!!

• Ninja says:

He has the rest of his life to spend with the kids… Besides, I’d be pissied if I learned that my dad missed his NBA finals just to see me pop out some pu……

• James says:

F*CK BASKETBALL

• jbeezy says:

He has a team to think about who he has spent the whole year working towards winning a championship with an opportunity not all athletes get to enjoy. He should play and fly back to support his family when the game is over. Basketball is his living and his passion as I am sure his family is too, there is no reason he can not balance the two. His family should understand and encourage him to reach his dream.

• lol It’s two once in a lifetime opportunties

the difference is.. Lebron winning such a thing secures the future of his children and there children even further

And he has made a commitment to his team. I hope it works out where he can do both personally

• Max says:

He’s at the highest point in his career; playing ball is what he’s paid to do. Obviously his family knows that and I know they support his choice to play ball.

• Man that is a tough tough …decision…but I don’t think it belongs on Drjays blog!

• PhilWil says:

For me, I am more of a family man myself. So I would be there for my wife and kid. Literally there is no one on the team, in the stands or anywhere else who will still be there for him like his wife and especially his kids.

I personally think he is saying this so that the real truth doesn’t come out: that the doctors will most likely delay the date until after the game (which they can do pretty safely)

Its better PR to say I’ll be at the game due to my work situation than say the birth date will most likely be pushed off because of the game.

• shekoken says:

Never knew lebron had kids.