Home » Society, Style

Do clothing lines divide along racial lines?

Submitted by on June 20, 2007 – 8:56 am13 Comments

ourbrand.jpg

The marketing team here at DrJays.com attended a conference this week titled “What Teens Want” here in New York City.

MTV’s The N network presented a study done with a large group of diverse teenagers, with very interesting results.

One result that stood out was that for teens, a big complaint is brands create stereotypes and erase individuality.

Racial divisions, they said, were particularly reinforced by brands.

One female, quoted as a “white teen from Chicago,” said the following:

“I’d get shot if I wore Apple Bottoms to my school.”

We’d like to know if our DrJays.com family agree that brands can encourage division within our communities?

• shant says:

well, yeah, every company has their target market. weither it be urban, skate/surf, or casual luxury…it usually ends up as a racial division. look at the meaning of FUBU….For Us By Us. that quote about the apple bottoms was probably said in a jokingly manner. i dont agree its right though.

• Chicago's Finest says:

I think she was exaggerating, but I also think she was conveying the seriousness of the situation…brands can be divided along color lines, whether it’s implied or not…

• Eddie says:

i think its more upper and middle class segregation, not really racial… yeah, i’m a white 14 year old, yes i have many pairs of jordans, and yes I am from the “poor” part of boston, and no one really has much to say about it… if there was a rich kid like me on the other hand, people would laugh at least… not shoot i dont think…..

• 4me2know says:

I am a white girl whose closet consist of nothing but Rocawear. When I go out and about I can tell the black girls are looking at me like why she wearing that but u know what I live 4 myself not for others so it doesn’t bother me.

• fresh hatter says:

certain brands definitely perpetuate racial division (like abercrombie vs. g-unit) by exploiting racial stereotypes in their marketing. that’s why it’s cool to see drjays countering that with racial diversity across all brands.

• SBE says:

Racial segegration within clothing lines only lie within the people who buy it.
    now lets put this into a example, lets say, black people start buying abercrombie and fitch and the white people start buying Girbauds and G-Unit gear? then those compnays would truly have their clothing only for that race inparticular.
    so again clothing only lies within those who buy and support it.
    me personaly i like wearing anything that i can infuse with my own style.

• lol @ this

I never had that problem anywhere

she’s in Chicago… sounds more like a gang issue to me….

• SAMMY ( IT IS WHAT IT IS ) says:

1st i am PR/DR . IT FUNNY HOW URBAN CATS ARE DRESSING NO THEY WANT THE ROCKER LOOK . I.E FITTED JEAN , SKULL TEES CONVERSE KICKS , AND THE FEMALE WANT MAD COLORS ,I.E RAINBOW AND FAKES PERLS. I REMEMBER BACK WHEN MY HOMI . HAD CHAMP HOODY BAGGY JEANS , NIKE ACG. WHAT HAPPEN ? JUST BECUSE LIL WAYNE , DIP SET JIM JONE . WEAR FITED CLOTH MUST WE COPY . I SAY NO JUST BE U .

• akaMS_controversy says:

i think that no matter who u r u should rock what u love and not what other people want u to wear

• Marchello says:

Being a designer of a new wild and crazy clothing line, I think sometimes there is a racial divide in clothing. As one said earlier it’s target market, as well as low, middle, high class. It’s a number of things that are involved. Ultimately one must “DO YOU!!”

You’ll know if you’re out of place when wearing it, you can feel it. Either you have confidence or you don’t. http://www.cryingtears.com does it matter the color, check it out. Get back at me.

• Marchello says:

You’ll know if you’re out of place when wearing it, you can feel it. Either you have confidence or you don’t. Go to http://www.cryingtears.com does it matter the skin color, check it out by clicking on gallery. Get back at me.

• i sWeAr I g0 duMb! says:

style evolves constantly so people who are still stuck on 5x tees and 38 pants wit a 30” waist— that may b cool for you but other people may not be feelin that. sooo dont look at people and judge because of style cuz i seen niggas- gangsta niggas mind you, wearin tight capo type ish

• i sWeAr I g0 duMb! says:

p.s. crying tears is sum ulgy ass stuff