Home » Society

Do you still read hip-hop magazines?

Submitted by on July 13, 2007 – 1:57 pm33 Comments

dec-xxl-cover.jpg

The Source, XXL, VIBE, Rap Pages, Ozone – there are countless “urban” magazines on shelves today.

The question is, do you still buy hip-hop magazines? And if you do, which ones?

• BayArea4Life says:

Hell naw I don’t read ‘em…why would I spend $ to get news when I can get it for free online?

• Christina says:

i love hip hop magazines…they can be pricey for some information that is online and will be old in a week…but i enjoy them and if someone i really like is on the cover….for example…that Jay-Z mag pictured above, i certainly have…i will buy it….

• Jay-C says:

Yea I read um when the King (Jay-Z) is on the cover. Its the ROC 4 LIFE.
    P.S. Jay-Z #9 on Forbes 100 richest people.

• iNfAmOuS says:

100 richest people in entertainment. Don’t mislead people.

• anya says:

big up 2 DA SOURCE! used2 buy every copy coz i used 2 gt bored at work! only big retailerz sell US mags here in the UK

• LB da DOE BOI says:

Me personally no cuz only 25% of that sh%& is real and the rest of tha interview be that bull but cats will keep buying it as long as they keep ththey favorite artist on the cover or in the mag. but fam check ya boi out on letstalkhiphop.blogspot.com say what you feel holla at me.

• regis hondo says:

XXL is the last hip hop magazine standing. i cop it some times…usually read allhiphop.com. PEACE

• YEA, I LOVE THAT ISSUE UP THERE, WITH JAY-Z ON THE COVER-
    I RAN MY FIRST ADVERTISEMENT IN THAT MAGAZINE,
    IN THE CLASSIFIEDS SECTION-
    PAGE 183, UPPER RIGHT CORNER OF THE PAGE.

“LEARN TO DO YOUR OWN CLOTHING LINE-”

HTTP://FASHIONHUSTLER.COM

• XXL is about the only magazine i would mess with

• m2resles says:

yo Jay C stop sweating tha roc the roc isnt that hot no more !!!!!!

• JSH2KUTE says:

yep…all tha ones with TI on it…other then dat NOPE!

• Jay-C says:

The Dynasty Lives On 1996-

• Me says:

i don’t spend money on them, but i guess if i was bored and i came across one i would. like waiting for a haircut or something

• Hannah Smith says:

HHC all day ey’day!

• Angelique says:

Y3AH……SOM3TIM3Z

• No not really I’m too busy paving my own way…

• StarBourne says:

all the time..there is an essence to a hardcopy of the latest industry news..Im an avid VIBE and now VIBE Vixen and also The Source, collector so I truly believe that magazines can be kept alive if there is a loyal fan base..Too many people want the instant gratification but often that ends up in misleading info because nothing has been verified

• shasha says:

y buy it wen u gonna hear about these stuff anyway

• Tyranny says:

I used to be an avid reader of XXL, but nowadays I might get one depending on who’s on the cover. I also used to read The Source, but I lost interest once Benzino started using it as a tool for his beef with Eminem. I still read King, but I don’t know if that counts as a “hip-hop” mag…

• Jaycee says:

It really depends on the artist mentioned in the magazine.

• jay says:

i used to buy rap mags long time ago but i rather not waste my money when i can go to hip hop game. com or allhiphop.com

• shaw says:

yeah with out a doubt i still buy these magazines, NOTE:if you are still a true hip hop cultured individual you would keep your ears and eyes to the streets, and mags like XXL still keep things gully, their is non of that cut up flava mixed in with ass and that pimp ode, on the train of thought section you could also find the essence of REAL hiphop there. is time we bring it back to NewYork for real,it shifted the moment it went down south and everybody knows that …..

hip hop is Not Dead its playing the wall right now….