Home » Sounds

Are you down with Ratchet music?

Submitted by on August 2, 2007 – 9:03 am25 Comments

l_4069a618a0bb89777a939530546ad697.jpg

Hurricane Chris

Similar to the way Lil Jon introduced Crunk and E-40 introduced Hyphy, Ratchet music is the new movement stemming from Shreveport, LA (a.k.a. “Ratchet City”).

Hurricane Chris‘s smash debut single “A Bay Bay” is the flagship track for the ratchet sound.

“A Bay Bay” has climbed into the top 10 of the Billboard charts and continues to hold second position as most downloaded ring tone in the country.

The Ratchet sound is characterized by its use of repeated synthesizer hooks and minimal drums and bass.

Do you think Ratchet will be as wildly popular as Crunk and Hyphy?

• Hurricane Chris says:

I hope not. That song sucks.

• NB says:

it amazes me how possibly the worst song ever written can b the most downloaded ring tone in the country

• TeShay Williams says:

When I consider Rachet Music the first thing that comes to mind is Lil Boosie. Not Hurricane Chris! Are you serious he’s wack I only like the remix cause of lil boosie. He even got a sound call Rachet. DUH!

• Fact Is says:

Lil boosie hurricane Chris…they all suck.

• Donna says:

I think A bay bay is a great song, keep up the good work!

• Ash BB says:

Doesn’t impress me much. Too many ppl tryna to sell shit in a shopping bag.

• uhghhhhhhhhhhhhhh… i dunno…

ay bay bay was a hit without a doubt though

• Ajeane says:

JUST BECAUSE HURRICANE CHRIS SONG HIT THA CHARTS IT GOTTA B A RATCHET MOVEMENT? LOL.UMM NO.IM FROM DOWN SOUTH AND THE SO CALLED MOVEMENT DOWN IN LA IS BOUNCE MUSIC AN YES LIL BOOSIE MADE THA SONG “RATCHET” N ITS A DANCE SO THATS WHO U THINK OF. I REALLY WISH PEOPLE WOULD GET UPDATED ON SONGS, BECAUSE ITS SAD THAT EVERY COAST IS BEHIND ON EVERYBODY MUSIC, INCLUDING THA SOUTH.AY BAY BAY IS A GOOD CLUB SONG, BUT JUST A SONG IN GENERAL IT’S NOT GOOD BECAUSE NO ONE IS ORIGINAL ANYMORE.IM SORRY I WISH PEOPLE WOULD DO A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH BEFORE THEY PUT OUT AN ARTICLE.

• blookie says:

i think that song sucked

• James says:

Look at me, I’m “HURRICANE CHRIS” and in a few years nobody will know who the hell I am because the HIP HOP INDUSTRY IS TOO IMPATIENT and mostly wouldn’t know real music if it hit them in the face.

• James says:

By that above comment I am in no way suggesting that “HURRICANE CHRIS” is real music. I’m saying 9 out of 10 people who read this don’t know what real music is. Just repetitive, trashy, tasteless rap.

• LadyC says:

REAL music doesn’t even really exist anymore. This track is total crap! Hip Hop’s officially dead, or according to some people it lives in the “south!”

• im so sick of ay bay bay, he gone be a 1 hit wonder fa sho

• Lady T says:

Even if the songs are garbage, ratchet will be popular cause its different and you cant help but to dance to it. Whether people like it or not the south is rising, and all areas. The south got real rappers(Jeezy, T.I.), crunk music(Lil Jon, Three 6 Mafia, Pastor Troy), and this ratchet shit too. Think about it 90% of music played in the club is from the south.

• Anonymous says:

Lady T U are stupid n retarded to even think of jeezy n TI as real rappers….thats ignorant….and if anythings gonna get hot its gonna be bounce music naptown holly rouge wer u at

• mimi says:

“Anonymous” — I’m sure you didn’t have to say that, since everyone with sense knows that Young Jeezy, Three 6 Mafia, etc., are all whack as hell. The reason it’s played in the clubs is not because it’s good music, it’s because the songs have been overplayed so often and shoved in everyone’s faces so much (can you say MTV/BET anyone?) that you can’t help but deal with it, not to mention that the producers/record companies are actually PAYING stations to play the songs on air.

Get serious, you know that if the songs weren’t constantly in your face, people who heard them wouldn’t say “that’s hot”. They’s say, “what the hell were they thinking?”

• Meagan Kathleen says:

Hahaha.
    He looks like a wannabe badass to me.

• rapsucks says:

ratchet music can suck my d***
    its just f***in hyphee, but from LA instead of the bay
    and its just as s***y

• LadyC says:

It’s true though. They only play southern hip hop in clubs because the songs are catchy. Otherwise then that, i think most of it is Grabage. I’m a hip hop head, but not this new day shit. So to me, it’s personally whack! Whatever happened to REAL MUSIC! Play me some pac, biggs, nas, jay-z or big L… don’t bring me this “ay bay bay” shit.

• best online betting soccer

neglects soaks,neuron poultry barringer influential

• buy cheap wholesale timberland abington watch on line…

emptiness magpie:tameness laureate booming …

• Ratchet nate says:

u know wat im from shreveport 318 aka ratchet city ..and all these people talkin about boosie started ratchet ..no..boosie wuz ft. on the remix of do the ratchet..the orignal one wuz made by the maker of ratchet mr. mandigo an lava hoouse ceo..they just ask boosie to get on the remix an the remix went harder than the orignal one..so like any one will do they will use the betta version of the song..so yall stop hatin cuz hurricane setin the record straight..we the reall ratchet city..shrevport aka ratchet city 318..an yea..have u eva thaught why do the ratchet wuzent neva on any of boosie albums ..um..cuz its lava hosue song..thats why its on their album an not his..dont get fetures twisted with the people that made the song..ratchet out…haha!!we hear to stay.

• Cadillac boi says:

first i would like say for all ya hatin a** people who be talking down about boosie & and my boi hurricane chris music, see im form BATON ROUGE, LA. thats how the south get down. Yea everybody knows that hip hop isn’t the same as it use to be, hell i dont see yall out here trying to make a change. Now when Hurricane Chris came out wiht Ratchet City ” AY BAY BAY” just about everybody was jumping to it. see i love old skool music but i still list to other music from time to time.

• bgbank4lf says:

I know this post is old but i gotta speak on the ratchet movement. lava hse dropped it but boosie gave it that swag. Aside from the main stream shit, boosie got this rap thang down(lil dude got heart). And 4 those of yall hatin its clear that u aint lived this life so it aint got the same meanin 4 u. and it aint suppose 2. if u aint feeln it move on and go listen to that shit 50 droppin.