Home » Society

Kanye West releases statement regarding mother’s passing

Submitted by on November 13, 2007 – 11:26 am8 Comments

kanyemomszi7.jpg

Kanye West with his mother, Dr. Donda West

Rapper Kanye West issued the following statement Monday night:

“Kanye West, his family and friends would like to thank everyone for the outpouring of support and kind words that have come in from across the country since the death of his mother, Dr. Donda West.

“After working in higher education for 31 years, Dr. Donda West and Kanye West co-founded the Kanye West Foundation with the mission of helping to combat the severe dropout problem in high schools across the country.

“The first and signature initiative of the Kanye West Foundation is Loop Dreams. Designed to capitalize on students existing interest in hip-hop, Loop Dreams challenges students to learn more about what’s behind hip-hop culture in order to help them develop skills, express themselves creatively and be empowered.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made in Dr. West’s name to the Kanye West Foundation/Loop Dreams Teacher Training Institute.

Source: TMZ.com

• Will973 says:

R.I.P MRS. WEST

• Lah442007 says:

Very shocking!
    The first thought was to the family and how devastating this must be.
    I lost my mom, but I knew the matter was soon at hand. I was better prepared.
    A unexpected and unnecessary demise is heartwrenching.

All the strength, understanding and patience is what this family will need in abundance.
    Many prayers for peace go out to the family.

She’s in the light now!

• Felicia King says:

Sorry for your lost Kayne! Can’t even begin to imagine how you must feel. Just when you are sitting on top of the world something like this happens. Keep your head high, keep your inspiration following and God will see you through it all (come what may). She was a beautiful women and she will be remembered!!! So hold your hands up to the sky cause you know you still got to shine!!! She wouldn’t have it any other way! God bless!

• R.I.P Ms West, she’s at a better place.

• Ness says:

I am so so so so so so sorry Kanye. Last year on my birthday [November 10]Gerald Levert passed away and so did one of my uncle’s friends who was also like a uncle to me since I was like 6. When I was about 7 he went to jail and he was only 16, he’s had been jail ever since. Last year, 2 weeks after he had fineally got out of jail, he got shot and died in his mother’s arms, at the age of 22. I had just turned 16. Saturday I turned 17, I was riding in the car listening to the radio when they said that is confirmed that she had passed away. I took a DEEP breath and just sat there and stared out of the window and I wanted to cry so bad and I felt like I was going to, but I didnt. I just stared and shook my head. You and your mother had a wonderful bond and connection, one that you don’t usually see being displayed when you turn on BET or MTV, ect. I’m waiting to get enough money to buy the book, and I can’t wait to read it. In closing I would like to say, Keep your head of Kayne. Keep putting out music from from your heart in soul so that all of us “teeny boppers” can listen. This downfall is the onlook of something better in life. And Your mom WILL be proud, and remeber, she’s looking down on you.Your in my prayers forever! Live.Love.Laugh.=]]

• Mark Gordon says:

My heart goes out to you and your family Kanye! I can’t imagine what you are feeling right now, just know Your Mom was a beautiful Lady and she raised a good intelligent you man like yourself, she would want you to keep your head up and continuing make her proud to have a son like yourself, I see that you and your mom were very close. God will see you and your family through these trying times right now. So Just trust in the Lord and he will see you throught anything, You and especially you(Kanye) and your family are in my Prayers, God Bless! Your not my brother by blood, but you are my brother through Christ.

God Bless Kanye!

• Magellan says:

Mayne if Kanye’s mom has been working in higher education for 31 years, shouldnt she be smart enough not to get a tittie job when she pushin 60 or however old she was. Want nobody tryna look at her old ass titties!

• young money says:

stupid ass trick.. getting a titty job.