Home » Society

Russell Simmons announces support for Barack Obama

Submitted by on March 3, 2008 – 9:38 am13 Comments

russell-simmons_web.jpg

Russell Simmons

From Russell Simmons‘s PR company, JLM PR:

Today I am announcing my personal endorsement of Senator Barack Obama for President of the United States.

During the last nine months, I have closely observed the presidential campaigns, analyzed the issues and platforms of the major candidates, and have had substantive discussions with Senator Clinton and Senator Obama. From the sidelines of the primaries and debates, I have been particularly inspired by the fact that Senator Obama has built an unprecedented, national movement comprised of people from all ethnic, racial, political, social and economic backgrounds.

In particular, the response to Obama by young voters across America continues to be monumental. Obama’s leadership, passion and demand for a change resonates effectively with the aspirations of millions of people who want a better quality of life. This is truly a transcendent and historic moment in American politics and I am obligated not to remain on the sidelines.

Although I have great respect for the accomplishments of Senator Clinton and I have personally worked with Senator Clinton successfully on issues concerning education, prison reform and poverty, I am now compelled by my own personal conscience to publicly state, “I support and endorse Barack Obama for President.”

As the Chairman of the non-partisan, nonprofit The Foundation for Ethnic Understanding, it is my personal opinion that Senator Obama’s campaign for President has and will continue to transcend race in America and have a profound positive impact on the very issues I have been fighting for my whole life. Many of you know my work as Chairman of the non-partisan, nonprofit Hip-Hop Summit Action Network.

Hip-Hop as a cultural phenomena is also about transformation and taking action to end poverty, war and ignorance. While I am endorsing Senator Obama as a private citizen, I am in complete solidarity with the transformative consciousness of the growing number artists and young people from the hip-hop generation that are overwhelmingly supporting Obama.

Russell Simmons

• babycakes says:

thats nice

• FRANK WHYTE says:

That’s What’s Up.

• Jasmine says:

i really don’t care if russell supports barack obama… i’m still not going to vote for him… i will like to see a women take power for a change, hilary is experienced and even if i was going to vote for obama, just for russell supporting him, i would have changed my mind

• jamaica says:

well jasmine we need a black prez to take charge for a while

but ne way u put it iz going to break hizstory

• kee says:

In my personal opinion. I think Hilary is a bitch, as for Barak, he would most defininately be the right president but I dont think that America is ready for a black man to take charge, I will be voting for him though.

• SBHD says:

Just cause he’s black makes people want to vote for him. What has this guy done to make in impact in his political campaign? He’s been a senator? Woo Hoo, so are 99 other people right now! J. McCain baby

• Will973 says:

ok good 4 him…lol

• Thrillogy says:

Thats really nice that Russel Simmons is supporting Barack Obama.

• donnie says:

barock is doing the world good and like the qoute goes hell hath no fury like a women pissed so i dont think in the long run hillary would crash the country cause she will be mad just look wat she did to barock cause he was winning she showed a pic of him in another country wearing their chlothing just to make him look bad

• The quiet man behind the scenes – Luv him!!

• mame says:

In my opinion, is very important the support in Obama because I hopes in the change. The actual president give wrong image to U.S.A.

• L0'renz says:

Its about time u show ur support Rus, but waitaminute we dont give a shit anymore!!

• Catalina says:

We have a fashion show segment of Russell Simmons talking about fashion for Barack Obama, the urban graduate. The Argyle Collections is for the uban graduate.
    Check it out on ialive.tv