Home » Screen

BET launches new show Iron Ring

Submitted by on March 11, 2008 – 11:04 am24 Comments

floyd-mayweather_2.jpg

Floyd Mayweather stars in Iron Ring

For the first time in what seems like years, BET are launching an original series.

Iron Ring, a 13-episode half-hour weekly series showcasing mixed martial arts (the fastest-growing new sports format in entertainment) pairs celebrity team owners, trainers and fighters to produce some of the most compelling match-ups on television.

Headlining the show is boxing champ Floyd Mayweather (with the assistance of hip-hop star Rick Ross) managing the Money Mayweather Boys, along with hip-hop heavyweights Ludacris and Nelly representing Team Luda and Team Nelly (respectively); T.I. with the help of Big Kuntry, Young Dro, DJ Drama and Alpha Omega leading Team Grand Hustle; Juelz Santana and Jim Jones heading Dipset; and Lil Jon with the Head Busters.

“When I heard BET was bringing Iron Ring to the air, I wanted to be involved in any way I could,” said team owner Ludacris. “What people will get out of Iron Ring is that it’s less about the man in the fight and more about the fight in the man.”

With $100,000 in prize money up for grabs, these skilled competitors go toe-to-toe in the “Iron Ring” using the combined fighting techniques of jiu-jitsu, judo, karate, boxing, kickboxing and wrestling.

Irong Ring premieres Tuesday, March 18 at 11pm ET/PT on BET.

• Will973 says:

I CAN’T WAIT…BUT I WISH IT WOULD BE DA RAPPERS FIGHTING AGAINST EACHOTHER…LOL

• JBeezy says:

Sounds just like Spikes The Ultimate Fighter or Discover Channels Fight Quest, ESPN The Contender (although besides the fights contender doesn’t offer much)

• Carlos says:

aw dude im going to love this
    since i am a huge fan of mma.(but 4 some reason when i saw the title iron ring it made me think aout mma and it is about mma)

• ihateyouall says:

first gayweather talks crazy about mma now he is getting involved.boxing is a dying sport.

• Will973 says:

LOL…i know kwaping, but in reality.

• mac says:

o boi rappers fightn but dis time in the ring wonder how long it took 4 da exects at bet took 2 actually try 2 make another show

• nadiyah ahmad says:

I saw your show for the first time tonight. I saw it as an excellent opportunity for my son, Hakim I. Ahmad. How can he sign up to participate on this show. It is a long time dream of his to get an opportunity of this nature for his future. Thank you for interest and your response.

Ms. Mom

• ariesdiamond says:

This show is wassup i be crackin me up and floyd is the shyt

• bornlow says:

I really wish they wouldn’t have niggerized MMA. What a shame hopefully it won’t affect the growing popularity of this awesome sport.

• Cmad77 says:

No need to worrry about iron ring ruining the popularity of MMA. The hardcore fans know the show is a joke, and the fans of BET are only watching it because of the “celebrities”, which is what BET was banking on anyway. By the way, from what I just read on yahoo sports, more than half of the audience of this show is female, which means that black men are not watching at all, so BET probably missed the demographic that they were aiming for.

• WHITEY KILLA says:

Cmad77:shut your faggit ass up pussy i can tell your not a fighter computer clown……! im …..LMFAO….AT YOU YOUR JUST MAD WE TAKE ALL YOUR WOMEN RT BITCH…..!…LOL…

• Rick Lexington says:

^yeah your one of the reasons why I don’t take mma seriously. Fanboi’s ooo I watch ultimate fighter for 2 yrs and have tap out gear, I can beat the world!!!! Let me act like i’m on roids 24/7

The show can’t really hurt the rep of the ufc. Sorry, but that company is filled with a bunch of pretty ass dudes with sloppy technique who throw trendy blows and leave themselves open.

Then act like asses when they win by running around the ring yelling and talkin ish instead of respecting there opponent. It’s not built on skill it’s built on whose the most marketable. I’ve seen fights where one dude will get dominated and win by decision all because he can get endorsements

• MIKE says:

BET is a joke i caught an episode of iron ring and was really disapointed so i i tuned back onto the VS channel and watched some real MMA fighters. on the WEC. Wanna see a real Black fighter keep your eyes on Sheron Leggit (ROB ROY) …BET IS A SHIT CHANNEL

• mma says:

I find this blog very interesting, i will be here everyday till now. Greetings