Home » Society

Is interracial dating still a big deal?

Submitted by on March 13, 2008 – 9:11 am103 Comments

tobias2006.jpg

Interracial Love‘s Tobias White

According to EURweb.com, VH1 has reportedly given a green-light to Interracial Love, a reality show about a white male looking to find an African-American girlfriend.

The series will follow Tobias White (appropriate name?) and his two bi-racial sons Marcus and Zachary as they look to add a wife and mother to the family.

The show will reportedly start casting in June for a fall 2008 premiere.

Is interracial dating really still an issue in 2008?

Image: VH1 Reality World

• Ebony says:

I am sad to say it is sort of a issue in certain areas of the United States. I think the younger generation are more tolerate about interracial dating than the older generation because the older generation may have experience more civil rights issuses and racism than it is today. I will say it doesn’t matter what skin tone you are as long as you love each other regardless it doesn’t matter who you fall in love with.

• kwaping says:

I’d say it’s tolerated but still raises a few eyebrows here and there. Personally, I find the whole concept of “race” very antiquated. It’s really about culture and background, not skin color. It just so happens that many times, those things go together.

• Tha Black Bill Gates says:

In my opinion, I don’t think nothin of interracial dating, its what makes a person happy is more important than what their skin color is. It’s true it is a issue, but people 17-25 typically don’t care. As long as love is in the picture, who cares about skin color. But as for this show, it doesn’t need to be on T.V. a lot of white guys find a black woman on the street, dis Tobias dude don’t need a show.

• Sexxy Chick says:

I am a black girl and my current boyfriend is white and so was my ex. Its a shame that some people still find interracial dating a problem. My boyfriend and I are happy and we show it in public no matter what. Its jus sad when we go to the mall he gets absolutely no respect esp. from black guys. They try to come up to me and talk to me and ask for my number as if hes not even there… no respect at all.

• Obskure Starr says:

I’d have to agree with “kwaping” as i find myself in an interracial relationship too (i’m hispanic and my girlfriend is black). and really there hasnt ever been no trouble regarding race that has come to be an obstacle with us. but then again it depends on what part of the country u live. that plays a major role as well…i dont think that my own would be alright with my situation if i were to live in East LA were sum dudes still racists. no offense to any1 in that area, but u all gotta shape up.

by the way im from Texas.

• Syra says:

Interracial dating does not bother me at all. As long as you’re happy and the person you’re with is happy. I’m a white girl and my boyfriend is black. We’ve been together for over a year now. We get a few looks here and there, but we don’t care. We’re happy and that’s all that matters. It’s 2008, things are gonna change.

• Tashur says:

Theres nothing wrong with it at all
    I dont think they should name the show “Interracial Love” though

• [email protected] says:

NO it is NOT a big deal. Iam one example for this particular situation. My “BOO” and I have been dating for 10 months and we have not ridiculed for any such thing (he is white and panamanian). I have no problem with his race. In the city that I live in, its a normal thing to see interacial cuples on every block because of the military base that is near.

I don’t care what race you are as long as you are a good person and can respect me!

• TSG says:

Interracial Dating shouldn’t be an issue at all. I’m black and I like women from all races despite wat other people think or say about it . My Mother always told me “It’s not about how u look on da outside, But it’s wat on da inside dat counts. Y’all set a positive example on how america iz supposed 2 be. Dat should give da ignorants a wake-up call. I agree 100% wit Syra.

• love says:

intentoally looking for a person of the opposite race dosen’t justify interracial relationships, it is more like making fun of it. You should not have to “look” for a a person of the opposite race just to justify interracial dating. if you love some one, then you love some one….it don’t matter if they black or white. I really don’t get some people, but this is just my opinion, yall can go ahead and do what you want. And if you wanted to know, i’m mixed……….

• golden child says:

i would hope interracial dating wasn’t a big deal. i, personally, don’t see anything wrong with it. if you love somebody for who they are, it shouldn’t matter what race or ethnicity they are. i’m chinese and my boyfriend of 3 years is black. we get looks (mostly from my own people, unfortunately), but i ignore them. yet & still, most of my boyfriend’s friends date interracially also, so it’s a “melting pot”, if you must, of us when we get together.

• TheCoolistNi**a says:

For me here in Tennessee, it’s not a big deal when it’s a black girl and a white guy. But there’s always eyebrows raised when it’s a white girl and a black guy. Lord knows why. I guess it’s just how they were raised. I’ve personally been a little scared to date a white girl or an asian or anyone other than a fellow african-american, for fear my parents would flip out. They were just a hair away from being militant, after all..

• Steph says:

I think in some cases it is an issue. Especially if an african american guy with bad intentions wants to date a white girl. I am african american and I’m honestly not really attracted to anyone besides Black guys or maybe hispanic’s. But thats me. I guess what really matters is what you like. F**k what anyone else thinks!!

• James says:

They pump out worse and worse crap on VH1 and all those channels each and every day. It’s amazing that shows like this even get passed. This is pure garbage and only further promotes noticing color lines. What a predictable piece of sh*t show.

• Watdatdo says:

im lookin forward to seeing this….See after watchin thiz it will shed some light to ppl everywhere….and soon they’ll go black and dont go back, ha ha…
    and everybody should know that ANY race mixed with blacks makes the best lookin children..

• mame says:

the important is the person , not tha race