Home » Sports, Style

Is the LeBron Vogue cover racist?

Submitted by on March 25, 2008 – 8:50 am31 Comments

293lebrongisele031408.jpg

When Vogue magazine announced basketball superstar LeBron James would be the first black man to grace its cover, it was something of a big deal in fashion circles.

Now the April cover is coming under fire from critics who say LeBron’s pose, while holding supermodel Giselle Bundchen, perpetuates racial stereotypes and gives him a “beastly kind of vibe”.

Yahoo! News reports that Samir Husni, a magazine analyst, say the photo is deliberately provocative and “screams King Kong”.

“So when you have a cover that reminds people of King Kong and brings those stereotypes to the front, black man wanting white woman, it’s not innocent,” he says.

What do you think of the cover?

• Rick Lexington says:

I think people get mad at the silliest ish. I think if lebron was cool with it then why are other people trippin. Hell I scare people with my fitted that has snow men on it.

There’s always going to be stereotypes and reverse stereotypes etc. haha i’m so over it.

• Obskure Starr says:

lmao? what the phuck!

people at dr.jays is running out of ideas on what to talk about. lol. i dont give a damn about that mag or the pose. but i am copping that Ghostface album.

• kwaping says:

I agree, I think this has been blown way out of proportion. People are seeing their own things in it that may not be the photographer’s or magazine’s intent. I see it as portraying LeBron’s fierce intensity on the court, not making a gorilla out of him. I think the resemblance to King Kong is a coincidence and in the eye of the beholder. Those who made that connection need to explore their own prejudices!

• JonReid says:

Give me a break. Who is this even offending?! If anything this is more about gender than race. Find me a man that wouldn’t want to King Kong all night long with that blonde, and i’ll admit that the cover is “racist”. Not to mention, anyone who has watched Lebron play ball knows that he is very “beastly” on the court, so the vibe felt from the critics while shocking, is not racist. Lebron himself would probably say he is a beast on the court. He IS dribbling a basketball in the picture… and on top of that his other hand is visible in the picture and its position would pass the hand-check test of even the most protective teenage parent. Stop wasting time worrying if who’s offending who, and start giving Lebron some props for this accomplishment.

• Chase Sanders says:

Ridiculous should not even be discussed…

• Chase Sanders says:

This is crazy should not even be discussed

• V.A. NIGGA says:

OK WHATS WRONG I DON SEE NOTHING RACIST BOUT IT I COULD SEE IF THEY HAD LEBRON BAREFOTTED WITH SOME HIGH WATERS OWN AND A STRAW HAT SITTING ON THE FRONT PORCH EATING SOME CHICKEN AND WATERMELON BUT HE IS NOT SO THIS TOPIC SHOULDN’T BE DISCUSSED

• kristie says:

people over analyze things. lebron looks like a BEAST in a good way.

• chris says:

Is DrJays racist?

• Nay says:

Wow…lol. I wouldnt have even thought about the cover in this way until seeing the topic!! Its not that serious. People will always over analyze things and make it into a racial issue. Its sad. And its not Dr. Jays…they’re just letting us know what that magazine analystt said. It just goes to show how “far” we have come as a society. Lets move on!!!

• oaktownbiatch says:

I think that anyone even thinking of or bringing up the “King Kong” concept is the one who is the bigot! We just bought that Vogue yesterday and brought it home, to our multi-racial family, and NONE of us thought anything of it except, “Damn, that’s a sh–ty photo of Giselle.” Anyone who has the idea in their head that this, a photo of an athlete portraying his admittedly tough sport, is racist because he looks “beastly” or “like King Kong” or, (get my smellin’ salts!) posing with a white woman has some real issues…who the hell filters visual info like that? People with racist thoughts…and they’re a bunch of bunk beeyotchs!

• mrtee says:

crazy stuff i tell ya I wouldnt have even thought about the cover in this way grow up there are alot more things goin on in the world ,

• mrtee says:

wow this really blows my mind

• E-zy says:

If anything is meant to be racist…I cant find it =/

• the great mannie fresh says:

what people REALLY should be talking about is how f-ckin big bronbron looks compared to gisele – it’s almost cartoonish, really. i probably come up to gisele’s chin (not sure how tall she is) – lebron is a fuckin freak, no disrespect.

• babybeyonce says:

i think that its funny because black people need to start picking the right battles. if we don’t then other races will stop listening to us because it looks like we will complain over anything. this is the same situation as when Tyrell Owens had that commercial with Nicolette Sheridan! i wish we could focus on getting homeless people off the streets, non gun violence, supressing drug use, and utilizing job placement programs. c’mon folks!

• TheCoolistNi**a says:

I do feel a bit offended at this. Why does the black man have to be holding a white woman and yelling like some damn idiot to be on the cover of a magazine? He can’t just stand there and look like a normal human being? Besides that, I’m pretty sure he has other qualities than just being some basketball player. Come on, I mean, really. Besides that, doesn’t he have a black wife? Why does he have to be holding this white woman? Come on, y’all. Don’t just ignore this stuff. If our generation’s so ignorant it can’t see the blatent racism right in front of us like this, we’re gonna forget what racism even is and how to spot it.

• A.D.B. says:

I think that Vogue has been whack for a long ass time, I mean like the writers there dont know shit and its just run off of stupidity. If I were Lebron, I wouldve never taken up the spot. If i needed the money, then I wouldve just asked to do a different pose. Lebron be doing it big but this cover really just strikes me as being STUPID and on one of those free magazines they give out on the streets. And anyways, Lebron does look real stupid doing the pose and they had a lot of options with him. They couldve had him chillin with a jersey on, but no, they put him up there like he a brute, which is sad cuz hes not. GO CAVS

• L0'renz says:

I dont see anything racist bout that cover, then again Lebron does look like a beast when hes on court so why they makin a big deal bout this.

• kwaping says:

• Obskure Starr says:

LMAO ^

• monique says:

the idea of an athlete on the cover was a great one. but come on, its vogue- so it has to be a model with him!!! but i admit, it did look a bit king kong-ish!

• TheCoolistNi**a says:

“Does anyone see the irony in the fact that the only commenter who has an issue with that cover has the word “ni**a” in his/her nickname?”

It’s a Lupe Fiasco thing. Trust me, you’ll have to do better than that to make me seem like a fool.

• tRick says:

LOL Are you serious??!!
    i saw the cover a while ago and didnt at all think it was racist!
    i thought thats how lebron really is! he a fierce competitor
    i think sumbody was tryin too hard after they figured out he was the first black man on the cover of the mag to find sumthin wrong with it! geez

• I don’t think it’s racist… just ugly.

• Gone Jah says:

I believe people over analyze things and fashion critiques are stupid for applying what they know, which is only fashion, to stereo types and racial issues. Screw judgement, the cover is what you see and it is what it is, The first black man on vogue with a beautiful white women.

• AZBadBoy says:

Nothing racist about it. Hell, LeBron yells ALL THE TIME during his games. it’s part of who he is. Very passionate and exciting dude. I’d yell too if I had that chick in my arms.

And to that fool talking about blatant racism… take that tired Jesse Jackson crap somewhere else. Lupe fiasco thing or not, you’re a hypocrite. Don’t talk about one thing being racist and detrimental, then turn around and make an excuse for why what YOU’re doing is okay.

You look pretty foolish now.

• Dee says:

Do critics find something “bad or racist” in everything. This is so ridiculous!! i dont see racisim from the cover.