Home » Society

Should T.I. attend Hip-Hop Summit?

Submitted by on April 16, 2008 – 10:19 am63 Comments

ti_101307.jpg

T.I.

According to the official press release from Russell Simmons‘ Hip-Hop Summit Action Network:

In a special appearance, Grand Hustle/Atlantic recording artist, film star and hip-hop icon Clifford “T.I.” Harris, Jr. reaffirms his commitment to community service by participating in the upcoming Turn Up the Vote National Hip-Hop Summit at Temple University on Sunday, April 20, 2008 in Philadelphia, PA.

The Summit is sponsored by The Hip-Hop Research and Education Fund (HREF), PowerPAC and the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network (HSAN).

“I am pleased to have the opportunity to travel to Philadelphia to participate in the Hip-Hop Summit,” T.I. emphasized.

“We are going to encourage young people to go out to vote. I personally know the value of having the right to vote and it taken away from you, but I will add my voice to help inspire others to take seriously this right and responsibility.”

Russell Simmons stated, “T.I.’s commitment to serve and to give back to the community is a shining example of the best of hip-hop. T.I. will join me, Ciara, Jim Jones and a host of other artists to get out the vote across the state of Pennsylvania.”

T.I. was already a convicted felon when arrested in October last year on federal gun charges. He was released from house arrest and is now completing 1000 hours of community service.

Do you think T.I. should be given a platform to encourage young people to vote?

• Acclaim! says:

In regards to the Judo practicing fellow and his statement, I’m from the west side of Chicago and though I am a Common fan, I must say his “hood” credibility levels around these parts are pretty low. Talib Kweli is looked at as a novelty in the “hood”, nobody knows who Immortal Technique is and Mos Def, well everyone already knows him for being politically active (there goes that conscious guy again….)

In short, TI needs to attend. The man is showing progress and taking the right steps toward turning his life in a positive direction and like some of the other posters said like it or not T.I. has 1000X the respect level amongst the masses (read: disenfranchised and apathetic) that any of the aforementioned artists possess. He has the power to represent and influence those that the “conscious” set can never seriously reach.

Him attending is a win-win, point blank. Judo thrower, you’re looking at the situation from an elitist’s standpoint. You pretty much do not have to worry about the people who are influenced by the artists you named. Hell, 70 percent of Mos Def and Common’s fans are already registered to vote and the other thirty aren’t going to register because they’re against the American Political System) For the purpose that Russell Simmons is hoping to achieve, a guy like T.I. is the perfect addition……

• laughin out loud says:

Rick take yo own advice cuz having is spelled like that not (haveing). PLease children stay in school cuz this nygga Rick is grown ass hell and lives with his fat ass stank ass grandma and he can’t even spell words you learn in elementary school. Its sad I mean very sad.

• Rick Lexington says:

Anyways…

Dr. Knowledge: your right we’ve all done stuff, hell half my life i’ve either been in a gang or gang affiliated. But here’s the difference all the examples of people you provided have made that change. T.I. hasn’t, it’s not the only time he’s been in this situation.

Part of the reason I think why we’re critical on each other is because animocity and programming. Well another reason is I think out race is put into a situation of where we haft to be critical (or we feel) on who represents us because let’s face it out of all the music rap is under the microscope the most. Which I find funny because rockers do worse ish and there’s white suprimicist labels out there. Back to the point at hand, at times we’re too critical on who we pick to represent us because of how we think people will percieve us. For instance look at oprah, if your black and deemed “unsafe” you are not going to be on her couch. I see where she’s going with that, but the thing is that’s going to/already has passed off onto us. “oprah doesn’t like that type why should I”

T.I. should attend but not be as active till he further earns the right.

ACCLAIM: T.I. does not have respect from his fans, he’s just popular right now. WU-TANG has respect from their fans, Jay Z, snoop, kurupt, scar face, chino xl etc have respect from their fans. T.I. will probably be that “pretty dude” that was in. Most of his fans that posted on here either posted cause he’s “hot” or they have a man crush. Just because you think a person is hot doesn’t mean you respect him. The term “respect” is popular, but noone really knows the meaning of it.

• TheChosenOne says:

OF COURSE HE SHOULD HE IS MAKING A CHANGE AND BRINGING SOME GOOD OUT OF HIS SITUATION I MEAN IF KOBE CAN BE ACCUSED OF RAPE AND STILL BE MVP MATERIAL THEN T.I CAN CERTAINLY SPEAK TO KIDS SO THEY CAN AVOID HIS MISTAKES. MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO THINK HE SHOULDN’T SPEAK ARE PROBABLY STILL LISTENIN TO R.KELLY WHO HAS BEEN ACCUSED OF CHILD MOLESTATION.YALL DONT WANT T.I TO ENCOURAGE THE KIDS BUT YALL MADE SURE THE MOLESTER SOLD OUT ALL OF HIS CONCERT SHOWS!! wtf!!! SMH AT THE LOGIC BEHIND THAT ONE

• Rick Lexington says:

Not to change the subject but how did R kelly get out of that one. Is he even on the registry lol? Personally i’m not a fan of R kelly and the way he was on the jay z tour was bitchassness. Now he making videos that only get play on youtube.

And the kobe thing, man if that wasn’t a setup I don’t know what is, they did everything but plant coke. He didn’t haft to do shaq the way he did. Notice how he was up for mvp but never got it.

I don’t think it’s that they/we don’t want T.I. to encourage kids, it’s that they/we don’t want T.I. to encourage the kids to be thugs etc. But then again people usually take the bad out of everything. Because bad get’s noticed more than good and people want attention. So if he’s being noticed for criminal acts. He can say what he want but he still got noted for the criminal things.

• Judo/Grappling 2007 Naga champion says:

>”Him attending is a win-win, point blank. Judo thrower, you’re looking at the >situation from an elitist’s standpoint. You pretty much do not have to worry >about the people who are influenced by the artists you named.” ~ Acclaim

Elitist stanpoint? Bro, I’m straight-up from the hood. Please believe, there is nothing “elitist” about encouraging men to begin behaving like men. TI has yet to demonstrate the ability to reform himself before he can earn the priviledge of telling young folks what to do with their lives. There’s gotta be some consistency with the messenger delivering the message.

And y’all who keep saying “let’s not judge,” that’s a load of crap. When you gotta guy in the lime light, whom kids look up to, he’s has a responsibility to stay outta trouble. He hasn’t. It’s one thing to commit a crime, do ya time, and then come correct. This dude can’t seem to stay outta trouble. Problem is, everybody wants to make excuses and coddle these jokers when they break the law, i.e., “well, he’s from the hood,” “well, the white man is holdin him down, “well, he don’t believe in wearin condoms, which is why he has mad kids.” Blah, blah, blah!

On the strength, y’all know if this cat came around your way packin heat and accidently killed one of your family members, you’d want this dude to do hard time. For some reason, when someone reaches celebrity status, they get a pass to do wrong, cuz they “cute” or got “swagger”. And we wonder why Hip Hop is in a state of flux.

Peace!

• yasmin says:

OMG OMG OMG :P
    T.i
    iSH DAH MO3ST HOTTE3ST TiNG HE iSH SO HOT AND WOT iiF HE A BAD M3D MAN KMT SO HOtt.!:p

• Dee says:

let him do wat he wanna do he a grown ass.

• maandeeeeeeeep. says:

HE iS HAAAAAWWTTT.
    SEXXy BiTCHHHH.
    **PUSSy NiGGAH iM THA H0TTEST.
    DAAyUHMMEE RiTE y00H iS B0iii.
    SSAAAAWW000000000000000000000000000000000P.

• Naimah Greene says:

Yes he should attend, considering what black men have to deal with on a daily basis and the way society sterotypes them he should attend.

Black men have had to adjust to their enviornment for decades, and not by choice all the time. Everyone can change and that change if it is for the better can and will help anyone considering change. TI’s mistake was that he did not understand the blessing he was given,, coming out of prison and blowing up was a true blessing and when we don’t acknowledge and give thanks for our blessings they are taken away, as his was.

It is so true that a person never misses his water until his well runs dry.
    TI is making a great attemp to refill his well so let him.

• kay says:

all of ayu jsu tlkina bunch of nonsense espically styles-p. wtf T.I. raps about what happens in his life or what he used to do n if u cant f**kin listen to his music cauz u tink its to violent den dont f**kin listenin to it. Everybody makes mistakes n it jsu so happend dat he made sum but he can stop oders from makein de same mistakes he made. so ye i tink he should go. n by de way de reason dey dont want de oder rappers to go and tlk to de children is because T.. knows what he did and is tryinto make up for it. so styles-p u shpuld jus stop hatin on T.I. n get a life. who u be to decide if he a chrstian or not f**k u.

• if you could see me now music download this kiss faith hill beyonce beatiful live

• Idashia vaughn says:

yes i think t.i should get the platform because to me he is an inspiration and has well knowldge. T.i may have made mistakes but everyone is not perfect i say he is doing a GOOD JOB T.I KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH AS YOU ALWAYS DO!!!!!!!!!