Home » Society, Sounds

DrJays.com Debate: 2008 BET Awards

Submitted by on June 24, 2008 – 9:07 pm64 Comments

Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em on the red carpet at the 2008 BET Awards

Please discuss the BET Awards here because we know you have a lot to say!

From DL Hughley‘s lame attempts at jokes that fell flat every time, to Keyshia Cole and Lil Kim acting a fool on stage, to almost every performer having vocal issues, to the winners of categories that really shouldn’t have won (how did Missy Elliott win Best Female Hip-Hop Artist this year over Lil Mama?) to Jill Scott‘s flat, uninspired tribute to Al Green (thanks to Anthony Hamilton for picking it up) to Rihanna‘s horrible rendition of “Take A Bow” (bring back Beyoncé please) and individual “style” like T-Pain‘s Mad Hatter outfit, there’s just way too much to discuss.

Speak on it!

UPDATE: If you actually like Soulja Boy’s ‘fit here, you can pick up his Immortal Cargo Shorts by Blac Label here.

• Sunnyblaze says:

Lil Wayne should be taken out in the street and shot for not even acknowledging the contribution that Static Major had for not only helping Wayne with his super large hit “Lollipop”, but also for his withstanding efforts and contributions to music as a whole. Lil Wayne was dead wrong. It took T-pian to say “R.I.P. Static Major” during their performance together to even give the fallen legend some acknowledgement. Besides that, Im not going say that the show was truly good or bad. Rihanna sounded great. Alicia Keys did her thang, especially by paying tribute to those that paved the way for her (even though T-Boz looked a straight H.A.M.-Hot Ass Mess and Coco from SWV should probably think about backin away from the buffet for a minute). The Al Green tribute was definitely a highlight for me. Every artist sounded wonderful (Damn Maxwell where u been at son!?!), even Rev. Green himself. I was a bit disappointed in the Jeezy/ Kanye performance. Jeezy showed no energy, and Kanye (who I am a huge fan of) didnt really set it off like we know he can. Ne-Yo killed it. Usher needs to stop stalking Michael Jackson and find somene new to copy. Chris Brown had the nerve to roll his little yellow weenie around on stage right after Marvin Sapp got done with his stirring gospel performance. The audacity of some people! Ciara needs to have my kids! That is if she can… u know with her bein a former hermaphrodite and all (I really dont care about that cuz she looks damn good!). Not being a Nelly fan and all, I did think his performance added a bit of well needed energy to the show. T-Pain, T-Pain, T-Pain…”sigh”. What can really be said about that man there? His performance was utterly bananas!!! The outfit on the other hand? I guess everyone needs a gimmick nowadays. Truth be told I like Mr. Tallahassee. I believe he makes good music, just not always with the best talent, but he can definitely make a song likeable. Keyshia Cole should probably go back to the studio and get some voice lessons. Lil Mama shoulda won something. I love her energy and spirit. She is a very strong role model for young girls (Plus she can do the splits and that make me tingle jus thinkin about it). Like I said, overall it was tremendously good, nor horribly bad. Definite room for improvement, but also a good showing by some of our well loved black stars that can always use our support.

• LADY T says:

ALICIA KEYS NE-YO & LIL WAYNE WAS THE BEST OF THE NIGHT….FERGIE KILLED IT AS WELL. RIHANNA WAS GOOD BUT HER OUT FIT WAS AWFUL. CHRIS N CIARA WAS HOT. KEYSHIA COLE WHAT HAPPENED? I THINK SHE TRYS TO HARD TO DANCE AND BY WHAT I HAVE SEEN DANCING IS NOT HER THING. SHE WOULDA DID BETTER IF SHE CALMED DOWN. MARVIN SAPP WAS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

• skee56 says:

THIS SO CALLED NEW GENERATION DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO IT LIKE THE OLD SKOOL KATS, LIKE LUKE, JAY-Z, BIGGIE, TUPAC, BUSTA RHYMES, LL COOL J, 50CENT, THESE GUYS KNEW WHAT IT MEANT TO PUT ON A SHOW. MAKE THE CROWD GET OUT OF THEIR SEATS, OH DON’T FORGET SNOOP DOG, AND DRE. IM FROM THE SOUTH BABY DUVAL COUNTY STAND UP!!!

• skee56 says:

OH BY THE WAY KANYE SUCKS!!

• skee56 says:

CHECK ME OUT ALL YOU BALLERS

• Solja Girl says:

The only thing i am happy about with the 2008 BET Awards is that Chris Brown won the best male R&B artist. The rest was just pitiful. I mean its ok that the Collaboration award went to Kanye West f/T-Pain, “Good Life”. I love that song, but Chris Brown and T-Pain Kiss Kiss was better. Not to disrespect T-Pain or anything but either way he won. T-Pain should of one the Male hip-hop artist instead of Kanye West. I mean come on Kanye West’s album sucked this year. T-Pain was featured in alot of hit singles, plus had his own album come out. And even though i hate Rihanna she should of won something for Take a Bow. I love that song. I didnt like the turnouts at all

• keke says:

HE IS SEXY

• LJ says:

Usher could’ve done better with his performance. I love Alicia Keys but she is ALWAYS bringin people out during her time to shine, i liked it tho..All of the presenters was whack, It was like hurry up and say the nominees plllzzz. What got on my nerves was, PPL WHO WOOON DIDNT SHOW UP FOR LIKE ALL OF THE WINNINGS! That Chris Brown/Ciara act was top notch! I loved it..that head on the leg thing killed me, im still gettin ova that. Rhianna was mad but she kept a smile on for the cameras(Dont blame her). Rhianna’s performance was a ooh noo, even w the funky attitude rifts was stiill boring. She’s only hot because of songs they write for her, and she doesnt even have her OWN sound yet n she’s on her like 3rd album, right? Keyshia Cole’s performance was a big WHAT, did she even practice, but that is myy bitch? DL Hugley, I dont even remember him talkin, lol, where is Monique? Everybody wanted Beyonce to take a break, i love her but i did too, She wouldve opened better than Usher. Young Jeezy and Kanye, It was like Kanye outshined Jeezy on his own song!lol. Lil Wayne was crazy, he put it down. T-Pain n that ringleader thing, is kinda cool, nigga used a metaphors and simili’s with that. :)

• Princesse says:

all im saying is how did halle berry win the best actress award when she hasnt had a movie come out this year. are we playing favorites bet?

• chubbylitebrite says:

oh yeah….usher really has fallen off… it was so obvious he was lip synching.. His new album is cool but i think he kinda came out with it to prove that he still can hold it down…He needs to go be a family man…and then come back..cuzz that bullshit performance was unnacceptable.. ( AND I AM A BIG USHER FAN) im not a hater, im just a fan who’s dissappointed…Lil’ Wayne Killed it…But I’m sick of a milli….thats what happens when there are so many remixed versions of a song..its just sickening.. I’m a Wayne Head…. I really feel Lil Wayne didn’t get as much credit as he desereved, whether you like him or not he sold 1 million in one week.. That desereves some kind of award. If Beyonce only sold 300,000 (which is a lot) in one week the whole awards show would have been surrounded by her!! DL was sooooooooo lame though…. T-pain is getting a little scary… i love his hooks and songs but he still is getting a little out there.Young Jeezy killed it also..but i didn’t know he was 30 something still rappin about the shit he do…..That is all for now!!!

• Okay……….to start i would like to point out that every BET Awards show has technical difficulties for some reason. Last year 50 cent had a problem with his performance and the same thing happened to Keyshia Coles this year. To me the Best perfomances was Chris Brown’s. Ciara and Chris put it down. Both of them dance really well and kept the audiences attention (including me). I thought it was pretty well down with the water falling down in the backgroud and such. Al greene did a pretty good job. T-pain I think had the most nominations on the show. T-pain is doin his thizzzle! Mo nique should come back tho, DL has got nothing on her especially when she did her own performance. WHERE WAS BEYONCE and JAY-Z @!?

Whoever is the person who decides what artist performes should be fired tho! Alicia Keys did her thing with all the girl groups and stuff. Escape should of been on there too though cuz dey did make dat one song.

usher did an okay job, but it could have been a bit better. It seems like I seen that same performance before. Kevin hart Cracked me up though on that chocolate chris brown thing though that was kinda funny.

T-pain sure was walking slow up on there though. sooooooooooooo sllllllllllllllllow

• Big_Mamma_V says:

What about the fact that no one showed up??? Out of like the first 6 awards, only chris brown was there to accept his, everybody’s was accepted “on behalf of”…where was everbody???

• killa chris says:

souljaboy is a damn retard

2 belts???

a bookbag, un less you’re a backpack rapper?

shorts that look likehighwaters??

wtf