Home » Society

Are we going too far with text message lingo?

Submitted by on January 30, 2009 – 12:02 pm93 Comments

We’ve heard many concerns surrounding the text message craze over recent years – car accidents caused by messaging on the road, neck problems in kids constantly hunched over their cell phones, etc.

Now school teachers are increasingly becoming worried about text message lingo leaking into students’ homework.

With “u” replacing the word “you” and “r” being used instead of “are”, there is the fear that SMS language may eventually destroy the English language.

Students are turning in papers with these abbreviations, acronyms likes “OMG” and “LOL” among other grammatical errors.

Do you think that we should sweat this issue? And do you think that people should quit resorting so much to text messaging, rather than more personal verbal communication?

• Jasmine says:

lol i do it a lot when im at school typing or writing a paper but i always catch myself u really cant help it sometime though…its like installed into ur brain unconsciously

• Justin says:

yea it is, i have to double check my spelling on words because of the craziness. I kinda forgot how to spell LOL….DAMN

• Jen says:

And people think I’m wierd because I read the dictionary ^-^

• waterfallprincess says:

i dont think so you just gotta kno tha difference i know i do and you gotta be careful i know i am so if ppl act like they got some sense

• marazee says:

but who the heck would let a silly goose do that for they dad grave? NAWMEEN? people know they limits!

• Alexa says:

I text all the time, but it hasn’t affected me at all academically. I am 13. I still get high 4′s on my ELAS. So my parents have nothing to worry about. :)

• rezzy says:

Well i am in accordance with the idea that unduly use of this esoteric terminology is rendering the magnitude of our english language’s poteny grow more decreipt. Nonetheless it is just a mere vogue that would eventually become defunct. Also it is cheifly youth that implement this esoteric terminology in informal collouqial speech with their peers

• stand^guy says:

I wouldn’t say it’s an issue to sweat per say it’s more of a parenting thing if parent’s raise children to understand how to adjust accordingly to their surroundings then this isn’t an issue I text all day long and never does it occur to me naturally enough to mix text lingo into a term paper or any otherwise professional document like a resume or something

• Chloe says:

That was funny! I think that it will hurt the children’s vocabulary because as a parent your child should know when it’s the time to this and when it’s the time to do that. The children should also know when they are chatting with friends or writing a midterm. I have to catch myself also, but it’s good to know that people do catch theirselves and they don’t type the funny words and stuff.

• ~*aShLeY*~ says:

LOL
    That picture is funny!!!
    I know how to distinguish internet writing with regular writing
    I aint gonna lie tho, when i was in high school and we had all our writing tests, i was tempted to write “u” instead of “you” a few times

• Kwaping says:

I’m going to raise my son to speak and write properly no matter what the medium. With cell phones having full keyboards and T9 texting, there’s really no good reason to use shorthand anymore. Back when you had to type “you” as “9-9 6-6-6 8-8″ it was more understandable.

• You guy’s heard it’s some accident happened in Mike Tyson family pure guy, his so great and popular , even he do a lot of crazy things he didn’t deserve it . I’m a big fan of his – we should pray for him.

• I lost my job right on my birthday with a greeting card. I heard about people loosingt they jobs – but I didn’t think it’s going to happened with me. I start looking for a new job. I got some money for now and I pretty good worker so I don’t think that going to be a big problem. I got couple offers so I think Life come back in shape.

• I deliberate on I understand who this year Britan got tellent conquering hero! It is definately Susan Boyle! Such a brobdingnagian voice! We will hurrah payment her!

• I really ador Susan Boyle! Did you see her make over? Much more wisely ! Last make known was dreadful as expected! Proper Luck Susan!

• Fiesquekile says:

“A good funyn stuff makes ujs wormer with ourselves adn everybdoy around us.” – Yiu could utp your kids in the recycle bin and restore them hen you feel lkie i…t

• SabSlenda says:

Conan doing much larger duty on Tonigh Let someone in on then Jimmy Felon on Tardily Twilight! Cant on the back burner serve what they are going to do on 10 pm with John Leno!

• oppodaNeure says:

Did you see original certify with Conan! Important replacement for John Leno……I proclivity the jokes darling the studio! Jimmy Felon sucks!

• Gundeflan says:

I want to listen good music. Help me please.

• EnvileenetA says:

We wen to see The Hangover this weekend! Had to allow tickets quest of 12 am steer! since the motion picture theater was packed! THis was from the producers of the OLDSCHOLL and they did it again LOVED IT!

• cannabinoidasama says:

buy cannabis seeds online

buy get cannabis seeds cannabis seeds info cannabis seeds legal Harvesting cannabis rider cannabis seeds cannabis seeds to buy www cannabis seeds Buy pot seeds cannabis seeds under cannibis seeds cannabis seeds scotland

buy cannabis seeds in the buy cannabis seeds in is it legal to buy cannabis seeds Cannabis picture buy cannabis seeds in the buy canabis seeds illegal to buy cannabis seeds Cannabis drug it legal to buy cannabis seeds buy canabis seeds buy cannabis seeds from
    buy cannabis seeds online cannabis seeds to buy place to buy cannabis seeds Harvesting weed legal to buy cannabis seeds where can i buy cannabis seeds buy cannibis seeds Skunk plants legal to buy cannabis seeds in is it illegal to buy cannabis seeds buy cannabis seeds uk

• Fpotex says:

Klasss forum u vas!

• Fpoted says:

- Для нормальной работы коллектива, количество пид@ров в этом
    коллективе должно быть четным!

АДМИНИСТРАЦИИ НА ЗАМЕТКУ ! ;)

• Genabok says:

Как стать хорошим мужем ?

• RipFoonia says:

Need some help to decide which movie to go! Year one seams interesting? Did any one saw it already?

• Anutkaya says:

kak vot takuy matricu reshit?

• Anutkaya says:

kak vot takuy matricu reshit?

• intopetle says:

Music of Michael Jackson is going to live for ever no matter what, I think It’s became a legendof ‘pop’, He was so stressfullast time and has lots of problems, poor guy – that was probably end for him – so sad all we can do is keep his music in our hearts.

• piskodrocho says:

I want to listen good music!

• effeveday says:

Slightly embarrassed and with a quick smiel to the bus driver, she reached behind her to unzip her skirt a little, thinking that htis would give her enough slack to raise her le.g

• effeveday says:

For a second everything went quiet in the cab, then the driver said, “Look mate, don’t ever do that again. You scared the daylights out of me!”

• Lenopold says:

Добрый день! Спешу поделиться своими мыслями! Правда, что ноутбуки lenovo – это бывшие ноуты IBM ? Зачем они продались ? Или я не в теме ?)
    Поделитесь! А то у нас уже даже сайт региональный открыли О_О lenovonn.ru.

• Kawabangaboy says:

Всем владельцам супер телефона нокий. Извиняюсь за оффтоп, но вопрос реально массовый. Срочно нужно узнать, официальный ли сайт NOKIANN.RU ? Они пишут , что это оф.сайт представительсива nokia в Нижнем Новгороде. Кто-нить может пробить ? Если там что-то нечисто, то пожалуйста, не удаляйте пост! У 80% людей телефоны Нокиа, пусть не покупают недоброкачественный товар у ее конкурентов. Спасибо за понимание.

• Dvoechnik says:

Построена школа в нижнем новгороде, она отличается своей уникальностью, а именно подходом учителей. Каждые вторник и пятницу, в качестве учителя назначают учеников. С помощью инноваций в области преподавания, родителям легче понять своего ребенка. Начать обсуждение вы можете в этой теме и задать мне вопросы. Так эе это можно сделать на SCHOOLNN.RU в соответствующем рзделе. Спасибо за внимания . Жду ваших вопросов!

• Zhirik says:

Политика в Нижнем Новгороде переступила все границы. Политики готовятся снова изберать Путина!! Я в шоке. Что вы скажете по этому поводу ? Все это подстава? Инфу нашла на POLITNN.RU

• Bidoslese says:

http://mineo555.xanga.com/709269709/buy-ventolin/ ventolin dangers ventolin in pregnancy ventolin albuterol 7619 ventolin aerolin getpharma the real pharmacy ventolin inhaler mp3 ventolin inhaler

• globinrek says:

Предлагаю раскрутку сайтов путем рассылки рекламы:
    -на форумы 20$ на 30000 форумов
    -на доски 6$ на 10000 досок
    -регистрация в каталогах 6$ на 6000 каталогов
    -ручная регистрация влюбых ресурсах 0.2$ за регистрацию
    -за 50$ 1000 уникальных посетителей
    -делаю сайты от 30$ баннеры от 10$
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Базы свежие, использую лицензионную программу с распознованием капчи.