Home » Society

Should Michael Vick get a second chance?

Submitted by on March 27, 2009 – 4:35 pm17 Comments

michael_vick_dog
Michael Vick

Michael Vick is approaching the end of his prison sentence for operating a huge dogfighting ring.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007, after the Atlanta Falcons quarterback pleaded guilty.

He has now said that Vick “must show remorse” before he will be allowed to return to the NFL.

Goodell recognizes the jail time Vick has served, but hinted that he must go the extra mile to win fans back, and gain acceptance in his community.

After reading other articles about this case, it’s clear that there are many clashing opinions.

Many are enraged that even after he has done jail time, people are still hesitant about him getting a “second chance”.

They are comparing what he did to serious crimes other celebs have committed against human beings, like killing someone while drunk driving.

I have come across comments like, “T.I. was found with multiple guns and he got off easy, why shouldn’t Vick?”

Does you agree with this attitude?

Michael Vick repeatedly planned, executed and benefited financially from dog fights.

These fights left dogs dead or badly mangled, and he himself took the lives of “poor performing” dogs by hanging and drowning them, among other cruel methods of execution.

Is this just considered “making a mistake?” Do you think his punishment is enough, too harsh, or not severe enough?

We would love to hear your thoughts on this!

• Lee Lee says:

I don’t feel bad for him. My uncle went to prison for the same thing and I have witnessed firsthand how fight dogs are treated. It’s not comparable to TI’s case in my opinion. TI having guns doesnt mean he was going around shooting people for no reason. Michael Vick killed and tortured animals FOR ENTERTAINMENT and made money off of it. Its senseless. I am not denying or downsizing his talent as an athlete. He deserved to go to jail just as much as my uncle did. For the NFL to take him back I guess would be considered insensitive, since he will still be making millions of dollars and being an athlete that kids look up to.

• Chris J The Genius says:

I say the man deserves a second chance. His major mistake here was trying to keep his family paid, he had a minor role in the actual dog fighting compared to others involved but was the one who put up the money. After many of those involved turned their backs on him in order to get plea deals, he was the one brought down. Lesson is more than likely learned as far as that and cruelty to animals. Vick, much like T.I., is of much more value to the community as an example of redemption than he is as another brother on the streets somewhere. After all, where would any of us be without a second chance?
    Here’s something else to think about that Steve Harvey alluded to in his stand-up comedy concert, Still Trippin. The NYPD officers walked after shooting 50 rounds into a car and killing Sean Bell. Michael Vick kills dogs and has the book thrown at him. Is the judicial system in this country telling us that the lives of dogs are worth more than the lives of Black men? I know nobody likes to really get into discussions about race (which is why racial issues and tensions still exist to this day), but Steve may very well have a point.

• Kenkay says:

Of course, he deserves a second chance! People still “act” like they don’t see the big picture when it comes to this case. Money is the main source behind this whole thing. Ya’ll actually think “animal cruelty” were their focus, lol?? People better do their research before they start screaming death to Vic. Animals get tortured/killed everyday for sport and before preparation for food but you don’t see anyone going to jail because someone else is getting some of that cash! Yea, I’ve heard a complaint here/there and they take their story on Oprah or some ish but nothing ever happens.
    I remember hearing people say he was a disgrace to the NFL but didn’t know what sport the Atlanta Falcons played for, lmao!! Other people were just mad because they’re broke and hate to see other people get money.
    Not saying its right but dog fighting is so common in a lot of places you wouldn’t believe. I guess since Mike was getting so much money and is such a role model for kids, “who todays parents lack so much in that category”, they used him as an example. Now hanging dogs, not feeding them, and all that crazy ish is unheard of, wtf was these cats thinking?!?!
    I’m not even going to go deep into the race thing because black folk already know how valuable our lives are to crooks in the american judicial system. I’m more pissed about what ni**az do to blacks everyday than to be worried about some other race…
    FREE MICHAEL VICK!!!!

• Rick Lexington aka noble626 says:

I think they’re being stupid. People judging without knowing the whole situation. That’s what I hate about this country. They catch one famous brotha doing something and try to convict him for every one of the same crime that’s ever happened. Like with chris brown etc. There’s been a lot of famous people who’ve hit their spouses and it goes under the radar. But they want to convict this dude like he went across the US on a bitch slapping tour 09.

T.I. is in a different league than michael vick. If the situations were reveresed vick would be doing time for the guns and TI would be out and everyone would forgive him etc. But you big, black, dark skinned and in a violent sport lol good luck to you bruh.

• neese says:

I DONT THINK HE SHOULD’VE DONE TIME MAYBE FINED IF THAT TRUTHFULLY THE DOGS HE FOUGHT R MEAN NATURALLY THEY CANT BE TRUSTED AROUND PEOPLE WHAT ELSE R THEY GOOD FOR? WHY CAN HUNTERS GO TO THE WOODS AND SHOOT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT FROM BEARS TO RACOONS TO DEER AND THATS NOT ILLEGAL BUT HE CANT FIGHT A DOG — EVEN HUMANS FIGHT EACH OTHER WHY NOT THESE VISCOUS DOGS WHATS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THEM R WE SAYING THESE DOGS R MORE VALUABLE THAN HUMAN LIFE? I PERSONALLY THINK THEY PROBABLY ORIGINATED IN THE WILD BUT SOME STUPID PERSON BROUGHT THEM HOME AND THATS HOW THEY BECAME HOUSE PETS

• Soulja Girl says:

My butt he deserves a seconod chance. He made enough in the NFL, he shouldnt of have been tryin to make money with dogfights, and why would you hang a dog or drownd it, seriously you could have fininshed it anothor more humane way. he has resources.

IT DOESNT MATTER WHO YOU ARE DOGFIGHTING IS WRONG !!!

• Soulja Girl says:

1 more thing why are you bringing in TI, he has nothing to do with this

• Dave says:

People are so judgmental…it’s human nature so we can’t do everything about it. Although I despise what he did to those dogs, he did his time in prison and paid his dues in society so yes, he does deserve a second chance.

BTW, don’t just compare Vick to TI, for he’s in some different situation than Vick’s. In addition, Pacman Jones was in boiling hot water for his legal troubles that is more severe (in my opinion) than Vick’s case, and some people didn’t think he deserved a second chance……and so is other players are tangled with their run-ins with the legal system. Too bad the Cowboys released him.

I know the NFL (if they have it their way) would likely to reinstate Vick right away after he finishes his prison term. However, they’re doing everything down-low so they won’t spite some advocacy groups like PETA (damn!) for i’ll create a public relations backlash, which is very bad for business.

• Yung Gunna says:

\Everybody deserves a second chance period nuff said

• Kwaping says:

I think what he did to the dogs was horrible. I think he’s probably not a great person. But I don’t see why he shouldn’t be allowed back into football. There are a lot of guys in that sport who aren’t angels or saints.

• Nicole W says:

“Vicktory To The Underdog” takes an in depth look at world renowned tattoo artist “Brandon Bond” and his dog rescue efforts – particularly rescuing the infamous Michael Vick fighting dogs.
    Rather than focusing on the dog fighting problem, the movie sheds light on solutions leading to “Vicktory” for all the underdogs in the movie – tattoo people, pitbulls, parolees and all the other people in this world that society has turned their back on through ignorance and racism.
    The movie also examines the life of Brandon Bond and his struggle with balancing fame, fortune and the Rock-N-Roll tattoo lifestyle with a more fulfilling life that focuses on the betterment of both animals and society as a whole.
    Featuring celebrities like Debbie and Danny Trejo, Michael Berryman, Pixie Acia and Donal Logue, the movie takes you on an incredible journey you will never forget!

Proceeds for this film will be going to Villa Lobos Pitbull Rescue. http://www.vrcpitbull.com

• Jla1919 says:

What is wrong with you people? Michael Vick most certainly does not deserve a second chance. I think he deserves to be locked in a cage full of angry dogs. It sickens me to think what those dogs went through, all for entertainment purposes. Newsflash to buddy who said that these dogs are naturally mean and no good to people, pit bulls are smart, loyal, and loving animals. It is assholes like Michael Vick that give them a bad name. I truly hope he never plays another game in the NFL as long as he lives. I watched the episode of a televisions show called Dogtown when some of these dogs were rescued from the Vick dogfighting compound. It was sick and disturbing, just like Michael Vick and all the other losers that participate in dog fights.

• hj903 says:

• hj903 says:

michael vick should have been locked up for wat he did it was wrong and hurtfull. no one should be given a second chance for what he did.he also isn’t doing the whole time what kind of stuff is that