Home » Society

DrJays.com Debate: Is this art or just plain wrong?

Submitted by on April 15, 2009 – 9:45 am16 Comments

57166525kdanick413200932308pm
Sham Ibrahim

Sham Ibrahim created this painting based on TMZ‘s leaked photo of Rihanna‘s battered face.

You would hope that the L.A. based artist did it to bring awareness to domestic violence, but instead his reason was this:

“I thought the bruises in the police photo were interesting shapes to draw, and it was cool to color them pink and blue. Those are two of my favorite colors. There is no message to any of my art. It’s meant to look cool hanging on your wall and that’s it! I’m not into deep meanings.”

A traumatizing picture was taken at a crime scene, then leaked to the public…

I would think Rihanna would feel that hanging this in your home is more cruel than “cool”.

What do you think?

The painting is featured in the World of Wonder Storefront Gallery’s new group show, “Name That ‘Toon”, which opened Monday night in Hollywood.

Source: Crunk & Disorderly

• Chloe says:

I think it’s beautiful. I like it a lot. I wouldn’t hang it up in my house or anything like that, but I feel he wasn’t trying to be funny or mean when he did it. Artist have whole other ways of thinking and stuff, so…

• Vicki says:

its wrong

• Veronica says:

Looks like he’s just trying to exploit the situation for his own personal financail gain, just like any photographer, reporter or magazine hounding them and putting the same image on their cover. He admitedly doesn’t give a $hit about any artistic depth of his work, so he’s just doing it to get your attention and get in your pocket. If anyone cared about how this affects Rihanna personally, they wouldn’t do him a favor by putting him in the spotlight. The more people that know about this, the greater the likelihood someone with a great deal of money to waste will actually see this and buy it, or atleast I’m sure thats what he probably thinks.

• yung albino says:

i agree with Chloe 100 on the fact that artists do think differently than most people. but most artist’s are aware of how differently they think, and need to be considerate of others. personally i’m disgusted.

• Rick Lexington says:

Someone trying to profit off of something, and someone else over reacting… It’s not like it’s a original, I’ve seen that style of picturing before a lot. There’s plenty of bruised people out there. NEXT…

• Kenkay says:

Veronica, hit it right on the head!! This dumba** said there’s no message to his art… it’s meant to look cool hanging on your wall. Sooooo, that painting of Rihanna is suppose to look cool, wtf?!? I’ve seen many paintings and even t-shirts with that color scheme so it’s nothing special. It’s all about that bread baby! I wonder if Rihanna was his kinfolk, would he still paint some trash like this…hmmm
    I look at that picture and see pain. I don’t want to walk around my house and everytime I walk pass a painting on my wall I start thinking about a dude whooping some chicks a**, lmao!!

• Kenkay says:

D**n Rick, you got me by 5 min’s!!! Lol

• Rick Lexington says:

Haha my bad, I like your points though. Especially that last one.

• Muggs says:

I agree with Kenkay in that this is not something that looks “cool hanging on your wall.” While the artist says he has no deep meanings behind his art, he is still obviously going for the pure shock-value that goes along with creating something like this. It’s tasteless yes, but so much of art is tasteless and meant to provoke a reaction.
    To be honest, I thought that displaying the real picture that was leaked by TMZ straight on this blog (http://live.drjays.com/index.php/2009/02/19/first-shot-of-rihanna-revealed/) was far worse than Sham Ibrahim making some pop-art out of it. Either way, I see both as a form of exploitation.
    Bottom line… the artist got what he wanted. His name is being put out there and talked about. He got his publicity.

• star da el says:

I say whoop the artist ass and have a few straving artist paint a picture of him post it on youtube, tmz or whatever and lets see if he likes being exploitated.

• Haters says:

I think that you guys really need to stop hating on Sham and realize that if he wasn’t on to something you wouldn’t be talking about him and hating on him. His art is brilliant. Get a clue.

• Tammy says:

I’m all for creative expression since I’m an artist/designer myself, but I have to agree that this is wrong. And I’m not basing it just on the fact that it happened to be a portrait of an abused celebrity, but that it’s a portrait of abuse overall. Unless, of course, he meant to make an anti-abuse statement with it, but with Pop Art?! All I can see is another artist trying to profit from Pop Art and today’s bold color trend. Pop Art is definitely meant to reflect pop culture and the Rihanna/Chris Brown fiasco was definitely overly portrayed in mainstream coverage, but seriously. Why would anyone want a portrait of abuse hanging anywhere on their wall to remind them of abuse?! Maybe this will work as a piece of work as part of a show in an art gallery, but if it was “meant to look cool on your wall and that’s it”, then maybe he needs to check himself.

• B Easy says:

he is outta line for takin a painful memory of that girl and callin it art…some people jus dont have any heart. there isn’t enuff money in the world…you jus have to do what’s right. the Lord can’t bless you when you do harm to otha people, physical or mental

• Spades11 says:

I think if he got rihanna’s permission I don’t really give a fuck lol
    If rihanna’s fine with it calm down