Home » Society, Sounds

Rick Ross rocks fake LV shades in XXL

Submitted by on May 12, 2009 – 4:49 pm19 Comments

2b16f720

Rick Ross covers XXL magazine this month, rocking counterfeit Louis Vuitton shades!

The high end designer label sent the magazine the following letter:

Dear Editor:

We were dismayed to see the cover of the May 2009 issue of XXL Magazine, which features a photo of Rick Ross wearing a pair of sunglasses prominently featuring counterfeit Louis Vuitton trademarks. Because the photo has generated considerable confusion among your readers and Louis Vuitton customers among others, we feel it is important to clarify several points.

The first is that the sunglasses Mr. Ross is wearing were not made by Louis Vuitton, and in fact, are counterfeit. Louis Vuitton did not grant permission to Mr. Ross or to whoever did make the sunglasses to use our trademarks. The second is that no affiliation, sponsorship or association exists between Rick Ross or XXL and Louis Vuitton. The third is that counterfeiting is illegal.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to correct the confusion.

Sincerely,

Michael D. Pantalony, Esq.
Louis Vuitton Malletier

How embarrasing…

Do you think rappers should continue supporting luxury labels like LV, when often times it seems like they don’t appreciate the love? Another example was the issue regarding T.I.‘s “Swing Ya Rag” video, which we featured in this previous post.

We would love to hear your thoughts.

Source: XXL

• stand^guy says:

In my opinion it needed to be put on blast….the swing your rag situation was bull…..but you should never put yourself out there like that with bootleg stuff and LV is one of those labels which are not for everybody(there are others) but it’s just the same as if an average person was caught wearing those and somebody asking about them and you faking like you spent LV money and you only spent a third of what the real item would cost…..
    i say that to say this “If you can’t afford it don’t front just work with what you got”

• DURK NIGGLER says:

WE ALL FAKE AT ONE POINT IN OUR LIVES….WHO CARES. ON TO OTHER NEWS 50 FAKED THAT HE COULD ACTUALLY RAP…LOL

• tiny tim says:

oh, rick ross is the only rapper who wears fake shit and fronts about sellin drugs and having cake? oh please. if you believe most of the bs you hear from other artists you might as well believe wrestling is real. get to steppin.

• yung albino says:

souljah boi was in some fake ass Gucci shoes not too long ago, i mean some artists have people that shop for them that don’t know the difference between a fake and legit product like them busters who be rockin the fake jays

• I see it from both sides. I agree with lee lee this situation needed to be out. I think rappers should really do their own high end brands or support other brands.

I can see where the highend labels are coming from. It’s a fucked up area but if you put yourself in their place it’s understandable. Picture your high end clientele going to another brand because because a bunch of kids are being dumbasses with fake ish… Because they saw a rapper do it. Your not making money from the rapper and your losing clientele because you got kids making your brand look bad. Your not going to tell every person who spent obscene money on glasses, bags, luggage etc to accept the dude that has retarded ish going on because he bought a rag. Back in the day they loved rappers because they brought in clientel but now people just fake it.

They wouldn’t have an issue if it was justin timberlake and probably would’ve kept their mouth shut.

But from the rappers stand point, you haft to get all the newest flyest and dopest shit in this industry. Other wise dudes don’t pay attention. They got to hold an image. But honestly if they really wanted to they could flip the culture again.

If rappers colab’d together and came out with their own couture to compete then it would hit lv, gucci etc real bad. Along if rappers made songs dissing the lines it would also do damage. If they don’t want to be associated with them so bad then F them lol.

• Damn I meant stand guy not lee lee lol. Oh and yung I don’t think anyone should take the responsibility for the tilta world of horror wardrobe souljah be wearing. We all know that kid is too cheap to hire one anyways. He mad shady to his entourage etc.

• Hot Sauce87 says:

I love the fact that he rocking the fake shades. Too much focus is given to artists’ wardrobe and not their actual talents.Sooo refreshing to see some visual protest,Rick , his stylist,and everybody on set knew them joints was from the beauty supply store.And the fact that a letter was sent cracks me up, do they send the countless other artists gift bags and checks for rockin they ish,can I get a lil kick back for puttin mugs on LV in my hood, I thinks not ,got free marketing off me…. Imma go out and buy me a big dumb fake LV bag and support my local hustle man at least he appreciates my dollars.

• jason sams says:

OK YALL MISSIN THE POINT FIRST OFF YEAH IM SURE SOMEBODY DRESSED HIM AND PUT THOSE FAKE SHADES ON HIM AND EVEN IF THEY ARE HIS ITS NOT LIKE HE CANT AFFORD REAL ONES BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY WHO CARES WE ALL KNOW HE CAN BUY SOME REAL LOUIE SHADES WHATS THE BIG DEAL AND SOMETIMES BOOTLEGGERS GET SO GOOD ITS HARD TO TELL DIFFERENCE

• Solo says:

Ross said that the glasses have original LV frame and the gold accents are put by a dude ( forgot his name) that is very well known to celebs that customizes accessories. So basically it’s like customizing your car! u don’t see Hummer running around calling ppl out for driving bootleg cars do you?

• LOVE says:

@ JASON…THAT’S THE SAME THINK I WAS THINKING WHEN EVER WE DO A PHOTO SHOOT AT MY JOB THE MODELS JUST COME AND WE DRESS THEM. THEREFORE I THINK SOMEONE AT XXL DROPPED THE BALL IN THIS SITUATION. I PERSONALLY THINK THAT LV IS GOING AFTER CERTAIN RAP ARTIST THAT THEY DO NOT WANT THEIR CUSTOMER’S TO THINK THEY ARE CONNECTED TO. FOR EXAMPLE YOU HEAR NOTHING OF KANYE WEST BEING PICKED AND MESSED WITH BECAUSE THE OWNERS OF LV KNOW THAT HIS NUMBER ONE FAN BASE IS WHITE AMERICA.

• star da el says:

his baby momma said he was a cheap bastard who couldn’t even put Food on tha table, guess she was right by rick rockin them cheap ass shades. youtube.com 50 and tia(ross baby momma) disses rick ross

• Vicki says:

lol wannabe scarface

• Shirneke says:

Thats why I stick with Black Owned Lines

• Kenkay says:

I see a million excuses and comments “trying” to cover the fact that a man who raps about LV as if he invented the ish, was caught wearing fake LV glasses! So what, if other people dress stars/models before photo shoots, if you claim to have so much Louis then you should be able to notice if it’s fake and why not just wear your own shades??? If he’s such a “BOSS” then nobody should be able to make him wear anything. It’s funny, go back read these comments and see how a couple of them totally took the responsibility away from William.
    I keep it real whether I like you or not…William Leonard Roberts, your a** just got exposed AGAIN and it’s not cool!

P.S. I wear clothes that’s within my budget, you’d never catch me wearing a knock off anything. Besides, me being me surpass material things anyway, lol!

• Pebbles says:

I couldnt agree wit you more Kenkay everybody sittin up here makin excuses for this man. I realize 9 outta 10 rappers nowadays are on sum fake a** sh*t but come on now Rick done got exposed how many times? This man claims to be “the biggest boss” but u over there rockin sum fake knockoffs & honestly I understand where LV is comin from. If I owed a clothing/handbag/accessory line I sure enough would not appreciate people usin my name and styles to sell sh*t! I dont kno everyones entitled to their own opinion but to me the bottom line is “rick ross” is a fake a*ss wannabe

• Veronica says:

This $hit is said is what it is. Kids wanna be like these dudes and its fake. I understand where LV is comin from. For one what are they sposed to say when peep see the cover and wanna request those shades that don’t exist nowhere except in some bootleggers trench coat? Ironic the qoute on the cover says ” I never had a credibilty problem”. lol Two LV means to appeal to white people, a rich preppy 40 year old white lady with her nose in the air proly doesnt see the appeal of Rick Ross. $hit, i don’t see the appeal of Rick Ross.

• Ashley C says:

First of all Rick Ross was wrong 4 dat shit! LV not wrong at all 4 not wanted their shit bootleged. Bootleggers make so much off a lotta real fashions! But if da frames were real n dey just added stuff 2 them I think dats ok. It has pros n cons! But his a*s know dey n da LIMELIGHT, n u on a mag, he know wuz up 4real! LV at playin dat shitZ!

• yey says:

Hey ya’ll chill out fuck ya’ll act like you never wore nutn fake…well if you dont good ..you made lv a few more richer…personally I love their logo but they got sum wack ugly shit for like people, So people use their logo and customize to make it look more urban yadadamean if ya don’t u r stupid n quit hatin n do u niggies!!

• It is in addition is often a great time for it to revisit the typical TSA Travel Tips which
    might be familiar to frequent fliers:. Jute is another natural fiber,
    next to cotton, that might be woven in to a durable carrier bag.

This character manifests itself inside the whole selection
    of their products from handbags, perfumes, clothes or cosmetics.