Home » Society

DrJays.com Debate: Is it ok to date via text messages?

Submitted by on May 29, 2009 – 10:19 am8 Comments

textlove-main_full

These days, text messaging, instant messaging and emailing seem to have replaced the idea of simply placing a phone call.

It’s often easier to begin communicating via text, especially if you are shy or insecure about holding down a conversation.

Do you think it’s appropriate to communicate solely through text messages when you begin dating someone?

How about breaking up with someone via text message?

Let us know if you’ve dated someone and only communicated with them this way.

We would love to hear your stories and thoughts on this topic!

• Sometimes but not all the time.

1. You don’t know what/who the other is doing, during the convo. You don’t know who else the other is showing it too. I’ll be talking to one girl in person and texting the another saying “hey babe blah blah”. I’ve talked ish to a homie while telling a girl I missed her.

2. It kind of takes out the getting to know someone part. That’s when you need to learn about that someone. People can lie more on there.

3. How are you supposed to put in pimp moves son? Are you supposed to say “I like the way you type “haha” girl, it makes me RAWR… namean”.

4. The good part is it’s evidence, and if your not up on your cold calling word game you can redirect a convo. Or pretend a text didn’t come in lol.

Oh and no it’s not ok to break up by text, that’s some bitchassness.

• 702 says:

WHO CARES

• I’ll go with it’s pretty crazy to get a date, but the Internet is now working so who knows. Everyone is on their mobile so I can see this going somewhere.

• Veronica says:

are we talkin about ADULTS or teenagers? adults probably shouldn’t be communicating via text unless they are at work period.

• Dave P. says:

i guess times are changin’, my friends.

• Kwaping says:

My initial reaction was, that’s crazy! But then I remembered back in the early days of the internet, I admit I had some internet girlfriends. People thought it was crazy back then too, but now it’s pretty accepted. So I guess the answer is – whatever works for you!

• Soulja Girl says:

Just Texting in a realtionship doesnt work, its not enough

• Balla$tatu$ Da G.O.A.T. says:

Well I can go off experience because in a previous relationship we texted way more than we talked on the phone and the relationship didn’t work out as I thought. So now that I’m in a new relationship, I only text when I know my girl is busy or I’m too preoccupied to talk. I talk every chance I get cuz u can’t really feel what a person is saying thru a text…so misconception can happen all the time. As for breaking up via text, thas the bitch way outta the situation. People nowadays are lazy even when dating or trying to break up. But texting it is bitchmade shyt.