Home » Sounds

RIP Michael Jackson (1958-2009)

Submitted by on June 25, 2009 – 6:55 pm14 Comments

jackson-michael-photo-michael-jackson-6205114

The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, died today in Los Angeles at the age of 50.

According to CNN.com:

He collapsed at his residence in the Holmby Hills section of Los Angeles, California, about noon Pacific time, suffering cardiac arrest, according to brother Randy Jackson. He died at UCLA Medical Center.

Lt. Fred Corral of the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office said an autopsy would probably be done on the singer Friday, with results expected that afternoon.

“Michael Jackson made culture accept a person of color,” the Rev. Al Sharpton said. “To say an ‘icon’ would only give these young people in Harlem a fraction of what he was. He was a historic figure that people will measure music and the industry by.”

Questlove left this message on Twitter: “I think its time we let him rest in peace and learn to separate the ART and the ARTIST. That is the MJ I will forever remember.

In keeping with Questlove’s word, what are your memories of Michael Jackson?

• Boss Lady says:

When I first heard the news here in the DrJays.com offices, I felt my own heart skip a beat.

When the news was confirmed, I instantly called my mother and sister who were just waking up back home in Sydney, Australia. As soon as I said “hello” my sister said in a whisper “Simone, is it true?” and I burst into tears. My mother joined the call and we all were crying, sharing memories of how much this man’s work changed all of our lives in ways we’ll never, ever forget.

Mum saw Michael perform when he was a child star in the Jackson 5; I saw him on his global Dangerous tour. No other artist touched different generations like MJ did, and I doubt anyone ever will again.

None of us walked in his shoes, and none of us will ever know what it was like to live the life he did. Thrust into the global spotlight from the age of five, while controversy surrounded him in later years, the memories he leaves will remain forever.

• luxurylife says:

Man Im hurt for real cuz this was my idol EVERYBODYS idol….. I realize that the good ones always leave us too soon,we have truly lost a icon, pioneer, and a inspiration.Yes he had his short comings but no one can pass judgement.Tho he is gone his music lives on to inspire more justin timberlakes ushers etc so lets not cry but be happy that MJ is in a better place. RIP Mr. Jackson RIP

• DeJuan Hall says:

Excerpt from http://www.urban-magnet.com:

This is one that the world will mourn, from Gary to Moscow, the world will mourn. You know I am an 80′s baby, born in 1981, so growing up for me it was all about Michael. Thriller, Motown 25, Bad, Dangerous, History…Micheal Jackson was the soundtrack to a evolving and changing world. He is, to this day, one of the few entertainers that is known absolutely worldwide. From San Francisco to Budapest, the name was well known…I mean, people who couldn’t even speak English, knew the words to Michael Jackson’s hits.

R.I.P Michael

Peace and Blessings
    Urban-Magnet

• Gerry Gray says:

God really does know how to pick em R.I.P sad my kids wont get to know who you were MIchael as ur the best thing that ever came close to my understanding of music growing up…………

• Frances casarez says:

I will miss u micheal Jackson ana jm u were a great singer r.I.p people sude leave him and his family some privacy and. Alone time ily aka I love u People Leave The Family Alone Dont Bug

• [...] Read the rest here:  DrJays.com Live | Fashion. Music. Lifestyle » RIP Michael Jackson … [...]

• Kiki says:

I am still in disbelief. As much as it hurts to have a part of my childhood gone, I am so grateful that I grew up watching and idolizing an artist like him.

I will never forget when I first saw the video for The Jacksons’ “Can You Feel It”. My cousins and I thought that video was the business, with all the special effects that were unheard of at that time. I still love that song, it totally takes me back to my parents’ living room where we watched it and the making of “Thriller” over and over until we had the dance moves right…or close at least.

There is no other artist from North America that even my immigrant parents and grandparents knew and adored so much.

Shortly after the sad news of his death last night, one of the cousins I grew up watching MJ with gave birth to a baby boy! As I congratulated her, I couldn’t help to think how sad it is that our kids will grow up in a world without Michael Jackson. There is and never will be anyone like him!

I was in Vegas last year when Michael was supposed to come out for Christian Audigier’s trade show. I remember wanting to see him so bad in person :(

What happened to Michael in recent years is tragic and breaks my heart to think about. I just want to remember him as the gorgeous, unique and ridiculously talented man who I watched growing up.

RIP Michael Jackson.

• Tedi Waleed says:

omg
    it feels so hard to say that the king of pop Micheal Jackson has tragicly died. the whole day i have been mentioning his name and at night i was heartbroken 2 hear that he has died.
    i just cant beleive it, it seems so wierd saying his died.
    he has died but he hasnt died in our hearts we would neva forget him.
    micheal jackson 1958-2009
    .rest.in.peace.
    may allah be with you
    you will never be forgotten in our hearts
    youve gone like you havent gone.

rip micheal

• Chris J The Genius says:

I really don’t need to add anything to what Kiki said in her amazing comment post. Remember the man as the timeless and classic artist that he has always been. Even though our children will not get to see him or know him in the way that we did, we owe it to ourselves and to the next generation to keep his music, showmanship, and legacy alive. R.I.P. Michael Jackson, the King of Pop and the Greatest of All Time.

• bkbeauty says:

When I first heard the news, I just knew someone was tryna play a cruel joke. When it finally did register, it felt like the world stopped. As much as we understand that no one is invincible, somewhere in the back of my mind, I just knew I would never hear of the day when Michael Jackson died. The world lost a treasure, and I’m saddened by the fact that my daughter won’t be able to share in the beautiful music this man has shared with the world. We were blessed with his time on this earth, but God needs him now. He’s in a better place, and may you rest in eternal peace. There will never be another like you. RIP Michael Jackson (1958-2009)

• Lars- City of copenhagen says:

The world has lost the king of of pop,but his music will live forever in our hearts… R.I.P. Sending an angel from Denmark to be by your side…

• star da el says:

in the 60′s they said that the beatles were bigger then jesus, if thats the case i say michael jackson was bigger then the beatles. he was a music god who changed the rules of entertainment, he will be missed and honored by us all.

• najah says:

I was born in 92 which makes me 16 now and I’m still the biggest Michael Jackson fan. Since I was a little girl I’ve imitated him and had every poster CD, DVD, vintage buttons, tee shirts etc. People at school thought I was crazy but I’ve come to find that alot of them were Michael Jackson fans since he’s died. They were just afraid of being called strange or lame. They chose to be Gucci fans and Wayne fans. Now that he’s dead alot of them realize how much of a god he was to the music industry. They didn’t realize how much he made music what it is today. He influence Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, and the Ushers of the world today. He will be truly missed and loved. He legacy shall always live on and there will never be another like him.

R.I.P. Michael Jackson

• Jay says:

The world is really going to miss this great artist, man, and unifier of all people of all colors. They are saying that he may have taken to many pain pills. Isn’t it the doctors job to regulate that. I know I can’t get too many pills at once. Did they give him an injection? I really hope that they get to the bottom of this and the second autopsy person does the work right. You will always be remembered.