Home » Sounds, Style

Celebrity Style: The 2009 BET Awards

Submitted by on June 29, 2009 – 10:54 am7 Comments

bet-awards-2009-002
Perhaps the most stylish couple of the night: Kanye West and Amber Rose

Jamie Foxx hosted the 2009 BET Awards yesterday in L.A.

Performers included an injured Drake, as well as Keri Hilson, Beyoncé, and multiple performances by Ne-Yo and Jamie Foxx.

Michael Jackson was referenced throughout the entire show, although the tribute for the legendary star was disappointing to many viewers.

Chris Brown was rumored to be part of it, but allegedly his recent crimes caused the network to pull the plug on his performance.

281x211

Ne-Yo and Jamie Foxx lead the night’s Michael Jackson tributes

Janet Jackson made a surprise appearance to pay an emotional tribute to her big brother, thanking all for their love and support.

PD*29780106

When it came to the red carpet, many celebs paid homage to Michael Jackson by rocking a single white glove, memorabilia tees and more.

Here are some highlights from the carpet:

bey3

Did Beyonce go overboard with the colorful earrings and shoes to match her bold dress?

kerihilson111

Keri Hilson rocked a very superhero-like look. Are you feeling it?

day26

Day 26

lilmama12

Lil Mama in her usual funky attire

9c1caad6

Soulja Boy rocked a fresh pair of Creative Recs, along with a M.J. inspired jacket and tee

alicia22

Alicia Keys’ makeup looked flawless

4490085c

Ne-Yo rocked a cute preppy look. Not so sure about his girlfriend…

Did you enjoy the show, or were you expecting more? And do you think Chris Brown should have been allowed to perform a tribute to Michael, one of his biggest inspirations?

Images: The YBF, Bossip

• luxurylife says:

These BET AWARDS were overshawdowed by the untimely death of an ICON it was really somber and the highlights were few and far betwwen I think BET shouldnt did a seperate show dedicated to Michael instead of rushing to recognize him in one night.Award shows are already hard enough to get together and BET still has work to do No where near the Grammys level……But again when you lose a person of this Magnatude its so hard to focus and keep the show going flawless.And what must stop as well is trying to dress like a man that you normally dont dress like I undderstand you want to pay tribute but its comes off tacky and a mockery of that man’s style.Overall I give the show a C- and it was a little tacky

• I agree but in the same instance if they didn’t do anything then it would’ve probably looked bad too. You know how people criticize no matter what. Crazy ass world. Thanks to neyo I’ll be laughing for a few days when I see milkduds. I’m still beyonce’d out, But I will say it is a nice change from her usual. I agree with kiki on the earrings. Keri hilson was looking good as usual. I think stan lee should get at that for a comic. Or if dawn is still doing her comics. For the first time I’m not feelin what day26 is rockin. I think the hat makes ques dome bigger than it is.

*get’s on one knee* Alicia keye’s would you take this and if or when kiki refuses me, will you be my wifey. For better for worse, for when i’m going to wear you out because damn your so FINE!

Ok it’s all out of my system now.

• ©Love says:

I think that critics are putting way too much emphasis on what could’ve been better instead of looking at what they made it. Michael Jackson’s death left BET with just a couple days to get everything together and all things considered they did a great job! Yes the award presentations were rushed at times, but the award show we’re speaking of certainly isn’t the Grammys nor do they try to be. The BET Awards have long been a place where everyone comes together to have a good time and celebrate Black achievements – and what greater achievement to celebrate than the career of the King of Pop?

Despite his undeniable effect on the world and contributions to the music industry, much of the media has taken this time to run his name through the mud and it was refreshing to say the least to see that there are still many people who loved and cared for the man enough that they were willing to completely change plans in order to pay tribute.

Of course as with everything there were both highs and lows. The Ving Rhames act easily made for the most akward moment of the night and the off-key singing acts and overtly sexual songs such as those by Soulja Boy and Young Money are the kind of garbage that should be saved for the Hip Hop Awards. The rest of the performances however were among some of the best I’ve seen from the BET Awards: Beyonce’s “Ave Maria”, Ne-yo’s “Lady In My Life”, New Edition’s Jackson 5 medley, Johnny Gill, Tyrese, & Trey Songz with their O’Jays tribute, and of course Maxwell’s “Pretty Wings” just to name a few.

Based on the amount of criticism BET was sure to take from this anyway, I have no objections to the Chris Brown situation. It is a shame though that Usher wasn’t able to make it since he could’ve undoubtedly put together a beautiful set. Overall I think BET found a nice balance between the tribute to Michael and the original reason for being there.

Oh, and Alicia Keys…… speechless.

• minab00 says:

soulja boys sonq he performed on tha bet awards wasnt tha least bit sexual, dont thinkk uu really listened to thaa lyrics but of course younq money’s sonq was sexual iits about fckinq evry qurl in tha world no denyinq that. but drake did excellent, and i liked when birdman came out
    but yea beyonce did really qood && shee sounded excellent
    ii liked jamie foxx && t-pains performancee for blame it
    ne-yo did qood on both “lady in my life” and he did qood wen later on he performed “she got her own” with jamie foxx and fabulous
    miss keri baby did really qood too
    and keyshia colee && monica killed iit
    ii liked new edition and their tributee to tha o’jays
    i’m 14 but i appreciatee and lovee pretty muchh all musiic
    so with that said they did an excellent job liikee they do evryy yearr!!
    r.i.p michael jackson [1958-2009)♥

• Jessica says:

Drake was looking sexy and i though the BET awards was good though they at least tried and it wasnt much time to put it all together but overall it was a really nice gesture

• earzel says:

i agree wit u it wus a good song keri wus da best 2 me shes hot i lov her songs her lov knock me down real hard wut wus kanye west think’in dat girl is ugly man i think he can do better i mean i not gay but kum on west

• earzel says: