Home » Sneakers, Style

Is it cool to wear sneakers with suits?

Submitted by on July 13, 2009 – 10:26 am43 Comments

347290357
Kanye West

With dress codes getting more and more relaxed these days, we’ve spotted many men wearing sneakers with suits.

When you see a business suit paired with functional running shoes, it’s usually obvious that the person is avoiding the commute to work in uncomfortable dress shoes.

But what do you think about men actually coordinating stylish sneakers like Converse All Stars, Creative Recreations etc. with their business or party attire?

justin-timberlake-butt-400a062007

Justin Timberlake helped make sneakers with suits a hot trend

16866460dasurs710200932055pm

Bow Wow

If you are going for the look, pick a simple clean look in high or low tops:

39105591

Borg Mid by Vael

4239662

Metallic Leather High Top Sneakers by Just Cavalli

4038142

Cesario Lo by Creative Recreation

Even if you are using sneakers only for a comfortable commute to work, why not rock stylish ones instead of looking like you forgot to change your gym sneakers?

andy_samberg_wears_sneakers_his_suit_at_2009_mtv_movie_awards_bluefly_blog_flypaper-400
Adam Samberg’s chunky sneakers take away from his classic suit

Would you rock sneakers with suits?

• KicksAre4Kids says:

I think this is a good look…if you were 12 years old!!! I think if you’re going to a formal event, you should dress like a real man and wear formal shoes to match the suit

• This was a good look a lil bit back. Dudes were rocking suits but they didn’t know how to rock them. It’s kind of played now over here, unless you can do it right. The shoes shouldn’t take over the oufit. That’s why they call it an accessory. If you can do it right & not to say “hey look at me, I’m trendy”. Then go ahead.

I wore sneakers onetime with dress pants, dress shirt, a vest and a tie at church. I got compliments & jocked on the outfit. For me a suit is like a military uniform. You put it on because it’s war. Are you really going to take someone serious if they’re wearing converse and spikey hair while your doing a deal? A party or club I still come decked out with dress shoes. Honestly, because I’m big, 6ft and black. My friends of other races really don’t get why I do that. A brotha that was a bouncer asked me why I was overdressed. I looked at him and just said “you know how it is” he laughed and gave me dap.

Oh on adam samberg there more than the chunky sneakers taking away from his look. The color of the tie, and also the skinny tie isn’t working with his build, etc.

• Da'ja says:

I agree kicks are for the kiddies but you can make it work with the right style in mind.Bow Wow and JT both made it look cool to wear their sneakers with the pant suit attire.(Formal/Casual)
    It all depends on the event and your mood of how you’re feeling to dress that day or night.

• tina says:

it looks good as long as you know what you’re doing.JT made it look nice and so did bow wow even though i think his kicks are ugly but as long as the sneakers are fresh and clean and match the suit then why not ??

• rwr. says:

it is depending on how it look

• Veronica says:

I liked Kanye’s and Justin’s the rest looked like too much. All you notice are the shoes.

• tez.0 says:

barf! i wouldn’t wear that sh$% on a deserted island. but hey there’s always an exception. your “models” were totally bogus. bow wow??? kanye???

• Dave says:

Personally, I don’t really mind wearing sneakers at work or nightclub, for dress shoes can be uncomfortable. However, some employers can be old school so dress shoes is required. In addition, some clubs still enforce the dress code: dress shoes, dress jeans, and dress shoes, although some clubs are relaxing some rules by letting some patrons wear sneakers in the clubs. In fact, most club owners don’t like their customers wear sneakers, for they claim that ppl wear sneakers with youngsters…if you know what I mean. I guess since the economy is kinda bad, they relax some rules.

Wearing sneakers is fine, but if you wear it w/ a suit in a formal date, business meeting, or wedding, that’s still a big NO NO. lol

• Bishop says:

NO! That is a fashion no no and they all look like pure “T” idiots.

• ChRi$ says:

HELL NO!!!…GET SOME GUCCIS OR LOUIS VUITTONS WITH A SUIT, SOMETHING CLASSY AND FORMAL, NOT NO DAMN SNEAKERS!!!…GOD DAMN FASHION HAS FELL OFF…