Trend Alert: Short Shorts for Men

Submitted by on August 3, 2009 – 11:18 am26 Comments

dsquared_getty

DSquared

The hemline on men’s shorts has shrunk.

Along with menswear in general these days, they are more tailored and refined.

For all the macho men out there – don’t be afraid! We’re not talking about your dad’s super short vintage Adidas polyester shorts from the 70′s…

These shorts fall just above or right at the knee, and instead of having beefy cargo pockets they have a more sophisticated and minimalistic look. Think lightweight fabrics with subtle details.

83388772JG022_2008_Voodoo_E

Should Lil Wayne trade these shorts in for the ones on Kanye West below?

kanye

The look has trickled from the runway to streetwear brands like Zoo York, Cavi and more.

4274629
Jack Short by Zoo York

3947963
Classic Bermuda Short by Lacoste

4086520
Basic Shorts W Belt by CAVI

The beauty about the fit of these shorts is that they look great dressed up or down.

To achieve the preppy look we featured in our last “Trend Alert”, wear them in a fabric like seersucker, paired with low top canvas kicks and a button down shirt.

Or go for a street look, by pairing a twill short with chunky skate sneakers and a cool graphic tee.

Have you adopted this trend, or can you see yourself rocking it?

Images: Minority Weirdos, Killed That, oz-e

• NiTA says:

LoL WatZ NExT? MEN’s DRESSeS ?

• Dear god, what the hell mate

• Boo Boo James says:

I’m finna start puttin grown men in toilets like it’s high school

• huh? says:

Wow…. no disrespect to gay people but the first three pictures look madddd h*mo.

• ©Love says:

The shorts you’re selling that hit right on the knee are alright, but the DSquared shorts are halfway up the thigh and regardless of the “trend”, I could never get with those.

• DDDD says:

YEA REAL SHORT SHORTS ON DUDES IS EXTRA H*MO

• takayo da kid says:

are these dudes serious i swear i thought i seen it all short shorts for men is a force in a half come on urban community let’s get it together here

• GoinHardOnaBeezy says:

Hell F’n NOOOOOOOO! Super H*MO! Cut the crap! I don’t know anyone that would rock that BS!

• yung albino says:

I’d rather wear skinnies

• DMARTIN says:

FIRST MOM JEANS NOW DAD SHORTS…

• Veronica says:

Dag I haven’t seen the fellas knee caps since elementary school. They’re makin a comeback? Wow.

• Kenkay says:

Not poppin, at all!!

• rwr. says:

it reminds me of living in florida and seeing those male tourist with their hairy legs and bermuda shorts.. EWw

• Steph says:

good gravy.. i dare a nigga to wear those to skool. niggas be heatin yo ass maadd hard man. aint nobody gon see my kneecaps!

• michelle says:

It is about time men get out of shorts (and bathing suits) that look like parachutes. Have we gotten so prudish,that now looking at a male thigh is too much for us to bear? Men use to wear mid-thigh shorts for years. Now all of a sudden it is gay to do so? What is the matter with our American Men being so hungup on looking “gay” that they would rather look like clowns wearing tents. How can any man look in the mirror wearing those things and think he looks sexy? Men think it is cool to be seen as ugly, anything else and you are gay. Women who belittle men for feeling attractive are no better.

• Bishop says:

NO that is all

• ChRi$ says:

wow…im speechless…what is happening???, am i really seein this???…”murse”, “short shorts”, “sneakers with suit”, “prep school meets hip-hop”…hip-hop is dead N so is the fashion…R.I.P….i wish i can rewind 6 years N keep it there

• Ray says:

I grew up in a time where it was NORMAL for a man (straight, not gay) to wear shorts that were a lot shorter than those pictured above. Haven’t you seen pictures from the 1970′s and 80′s? Who decided that you must be gay if you wear shorter shorts when it was normal to do so for years? This baggy over the knee damn near to the ankles trend looks ridiculous to me. I’d rather have the Adidas and OP shorts I wore in the 70′s and 80′s.

• 130SS-D says:

eeeshh.. nahh thanks

• fipple says:

Real man, wife says so, and tells me she wants to see me in shorter shorts. I myself am over those knee length and beyond sawn-off looking pants. The sooner that short short shorts are on the shelves in the stores, the better. 2″ inseam is good. A bit risky if the boys get excited, but hey…. wifey loves them.

• Mike Swobodzien says:

It is long overdue for the dumb notion that a mans shorts have to be knee length to go away ! One of the worst fashion trends is the baggy,sloppy looking cargo shorts.They are not even normal shorts,more like baggy capris.Very sad how so many “alleged” men have to resort to gay/homo comments.Guys, you need to get over your insecurities !!!!!!
    P.S. – just because a short does not reach the knee does NOT make it a short short.

• Bob says:

I loved the really short shorts men wore in the 70s and 80s. Was a great perve especially when they sat down with legs open lol. Im hoping they make a comeback.

• [...] reported, the hemline on board shorts is the next target for shrinkage in menswear. We did a piece on short shorts for men last summer, which got a mixed reaction from our readers. Are male short [...]

• Dan says:

OK, thats cool, but seriously, kids i kinda understand. its a fad thing, but 30yr olds wearing pants below their Ass. What is going on. Sware, the wearing the pants under the ass is soooooo, anti normal. i wish older men did that just to stop these idiots from doing it. Id bet, just to get them to stop older guys, like 50+ would go for it.

• jean says:

Wow love the short shorts; that sit really low on my waist so the tops of my panties show;as i wear them all the time with short ladies tops ;most r short enough that some of my checks hang out ;me being a guy that is bi an loves to c/d i always wear women;s panties or pantyhose under them ;also like them really tight am in st pete fl every wk-end at the flamago resort

• test says:

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is simply cool and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.