Kelis: A Swagger Jumper

Submitted by on August 18, 2009 – 8:46 am10 Comments

kelis-flaunt-5

According to the Urban Dictionary, a Swagger Jacker is “someone who steals someone else’s style, flow, lyrics, ideas and passes them off as there own”.

According to AHLOT, a Swagger Jumper is someone who starts a trend and almost never gets the proper credit for it.

Hmm… I never thought the day would come when everybody (three years later) would rock a look that Kelis started and she wouldn’t get the proper credit.

Maybe I’m trippin’, but it seems as if everybody has one side of their hair shaved off. Not just that, but its mad past due.

swag

The same thing happened with N.E.R.D. and the skateboard scene, DipSet with the skulls and chains, Kanye with the LV bookbag and blazer and Jay-Z with his flow/breathing tactics (some would argue that), or even the classic “button up” trend.

It seems as if being a “Swagger Jumper” is less creditable than being a “Swagger Jacker.”

No disrespect to the women pictured above, but I find it quite shocking when I’m in the hair salon and chicks are like, “I want that Rihanna look,” or “Girl, I think I want to shave my hair off like Cassie.” ::Laughs::

I’m all for the science behind trends, but I’m also for people getting their props. I guess I’m from the old school.

Well, what do you think? Are the people who give the jump start to a trend ever really given their proper appreciation?

• Veronica says:

I think it depends on whoever is popular at the time. It was known as the “Kelis Hairstyle” amongst magazines such as Black Hair and Hype hair immediately following her Bossy video. They made a big deal out of her cutting off her locks for a while and I think she got a lot of credit for it. Thing is that was ages ago now, and she’s no longer in the lime light so people are just looking to make a more current reference. Just like right now you can buy Keri Hilson wigs that are short with blue flipped bangs, but i garauntee if she falls off they will call them something else.

When it comes to bold fashion movements sometimes it takes a while to catch on. A lot of trends people start off rejecting just because they are unfamiliar with them. I won’t be jumping on the head shaving band-wagon though…..

• thaQWEEN says:

Kelis is the trendsetter, the fashion icon, the innovator. Just goes to show that Kelis is ahead of all these lame LATE girls who are doing what she did 3 years ago. Might I add, Kelis rocked the shave look in blonde, black, brown, red and even in PINK! These other chicks will never be as innovate as Kelis and thats FACT!

• Da'ja says:

I think people who start trends are somewhat given credit but it might take awhile for them to actually get their due props.I always knew that Kelis started the half shaved hair trend back in 06′ and some people copied, but it wasn’t a big deal.I don’t know if it has anything to do with her star status at the time, but there was little reaction.When Rihanna cut her hair she became a superstar with her smash hit “Umbrella”.Her new image became the new hair trend for all ladies to follow.Rihanna since then has continued to cut her hair even shorter and style it in so many unique ways to keep it different from everyone else.RiRi was given too much credit for a trend that was started way before her career started to skyrocket and that’s not fair but I guess it is what it is…SWAGGA JACKIN’ will continue.

• styles-p says:

I am so glad somebody wrote this. What is said in this article is soo true. Alot of the crazy(good crazy), or wild stuff you see was really something Kelis started doing. This article very true. Even when Cassie cut her hair, I think people weren’t feeling it because that is not her style. Her style is more along the line of Amerie, Beyonce, etc.. When she got that cut, I could only see someone like Kelis getting a hair cut like that. That is simply Kelis’ style.

• Dave P. says:

remember the throwback jersey haze like years ago? everybody from rappers to athletes and regular folks like myself, everybody started rocking them until Hov said one line in his songs in the Black Album (not sure) like “I don’t wear jerseys, I’m 30-plus…I need a pair of crisp jeans button up.” that’s caused the demise of the throwback jersey. to be fairly honest, I don’t really recall who started wearing throwback jersey…I guess it’s everybody.

• Ticara says:

Kelis has always been that deal…I been peeped that they copped her style. LOL it’s really funny. I would like to see more of Kelis, she should bring out a new song or something…and watch what she does…a new trend

• dAyDaY says:

MAn dID Yall FORget sALT & pEPPA? THey rOcKed it FIrST!!!!
    HoLla

• HEY KELIS YOUR THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN ROCK THAT MOOHAK.

• Good publish. I’ve been reading through your blog for a while now. I wanted to ask, have you been currently trying for guide with creating posts right here? Possibly even a guest author? I highly recommend you let me know. Kudos.

• Awsome post and right to the point. I don’t know if this is really the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers? Thank you :)