Home » Society, Sounds

Alicia Keys Talks Lil Mama & Kanye West

Submitted by on September 16, 2009 – 2:32 pm9 Comments

lil-mam_mtv

Lil Mama, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys at the MTV Awards 2009: One of these things does not belong here!

In a recent interview with MTV, Lil Mama said she realized Jay-Z wasn’t feeling her stage crashing his performance at this year’s Video Music Awards. Well, guess who else wasn’t feeling that stage invasion? His co-performer Alicia Keys. Keys appeared on the Today show this morning, and when hosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb asked about Mama, Keys initially declined to comment.

“I’d rather not speak about it,” Alicia said. “The performance was so phenomenal, it doesn’t matter about anything else.” However, later in the interview the hosting duo coaxed a comment from Keys.

“We can appreciate her being overwhelmed and inspired,” Keys said, “but we would have appreciated it if she would have did it from her seat.”

But Keys had a lot more positive things to say about the show-closing performance of “Empire State of Mind.”

“It’s phenomenal. Jay-Z and I both are native New Yorkers,” the singer explained. “It’s a classic New York song — new Frank Sinatra, Liza Minnelli. I don’t know, it’s a beautiful New York song, I love it. It’s great to perform in New York and the VMA’s were [previously] in L.A., now it’s back and it’s great to perform. The whole room was crazy.”

The Today show hosts also asked Keys’ opinions on Kanye West‘s upstaging of Taylor Swift.

“I think that obviously he knew that wasn’t in the best taste, in retrospect, and I think he realized that wasn’t quite the right thing to do,” she offered.

Source: VH1

• penny says:

sheesh……….. i did’nt even see the vma’s but just looking at the pic i was wondering what the heck is lil mama doing up there with two icons ARE YOU SERIOUS???????? i see talent, talent and a derelict guess who’s the derelict?

• How pathetic is Lil Mama, AKA America’s Only Female Dance Crew Judge? She was trying to get publicity with rushing the stage – too bad it happened on the same night that Kanye pulled one of his scene stealing temper tantrums – and even earned the official title of Jackass from the President in the process. If President Obama calls you a jackass, wow. Cool under pressure, never seen him snap. I, for one, think that it’s a delayed reaction from Senator Joe Wilson (maybe it’s because I’m a Kanye fan – annoyed, disappointed, but a fan nonetheless).

• myeka says:

Okay I persoy think that this years VMA’s were a bunch of haters and stage hoggers (kanye and lil mama) and a bunch of weirdo’s (lady gaga) it was stupid and I think that next year MTV needs to rivise their guest list. As well as their award namonees.

• Kaymun says:

All I can say is WOW! Kanye wasn’t enough! Why was Lil Mama even invited she made a song about lip gloss.

• tasha says:

Wow! Are you kidding me? Lil Momma who? Kanye West is a total jackass, for Gods sake i never heard of him before his car crash!!!!!

• luxurylife says:

I just glad its over and done with hopefully we can move on oh yeah that blue print 3 is soooo HARDBODY!!!! I got 3 copies!!!

• kevin says:

i honestly thought it was planned for all three to be on stage but i see that it apparently wasnt besides she should have stayed in her seat like a.keys said

• PAMMY says:

Wow lil mama really is pathetic,she has no class but you can already tell that by the way she dressed looking like she bought her outfit at rainbow

• DIVA DENAH says:

Lol, this is off the chain. Jay-Z has his body tilted like he sayin “what the fuck is this lame doin????”