Beauty Tip: How To Rock Red Lips This Fall
I’ve had an obsession with red lipstick since I was a little girl.
The earliest memory I have dates back to when I was five years old and had a dance recital where my mother allowed me to wear makeup. I begged her to paint my lips in the same red that she wore every day. Beyond that, I wasn’t allowed to wear red lipstick until I was 18. By then I had lost the nerve, but eventually worked my way around to officially rocking a red pout. I was nervous about it at first because red is such a bold color that brings a lot of attention to your lips, but over the years I’ve figured out the right crimson look that works for me and how to keep my lips supple and hydrated.
It takes a lot of confidence, exfoliation, the right shade and the right application to rock a red lip. Red lips may be extra popular this fall, but it’s a sophisticated, sexy and bold trend that never goes out of style. Don’t fret ladies – I snagged some tips from MAC Senior Makeup Artist, Fatima Thomas. Check them out after the jump.
- Exfoliate your lips. “Nothing looks pretty on dry, peeling pouts. I add a little sugar to a small dollop of MAC Lip Conditioner to gently polish the lips into smoothness.”
- Prime. “MAC Prep + Prime Lip sets you up with a smoother finish and a longer wear without the feathering and bleeding.”
- Nude out your lips with a dab of foundation. “This ensures a picture perfect finish.”
- Use a lip brush. “Red lips should be painted on with clean edges. If you apply liner, do so after filling in the lips with color – you’ll get a better shape and edge.”
- Be confident! “Red is a color that never looks dated. Red says woman, not girl. My fave red lipsticks are MAC New York Apple, Lady Danger and Viva Glam 1.”