Simon Says: “All Black Everything!”

Submitted by on November 19, 2009 – 12:56 pm6 Comments

jay-z-for-web1

Is it just me or is this “all black everything” trend set in motion? There’s been black parties, black concerts, black events and people wearing all black, everywhere. It’s quite interesting to watch people change their wardrobe collection because of rap lyrics.

I didn’t want to get Charlamagne‘d and potentially lose my job because I talked about Jay-Z, but it seems as if  “Mr. Marcy Projects himself might be the official Simon Says. Simon says, jump and the people jump. Am I right?

Years back, Jay told the world to take their jerseys off and put on a button-up. They did it (and I begged my mom for that $275 Stall & Dean Rucker jersey). Because of Jay-Z, I only wore it twice. ::Laughs::

He told millions of men to get their “grown man” on and some of you guys did it. He drunk Cristal and the sales went up. When he stopped drinking the overly expensive champagne, the bars turned to Ace of Spades for their rescue.

He rides in a Maybach, we all want a Maybach. His girl wears “Christian Louboutin with the four-inch heels” and now almost every woman wants a shoe with a red bottom.

beyonce_tight_outfit

Even his close peers have hopped on the wagon. Peep his lyrics:

“This is Roc Nation/Pledge your allegiance/Get y’all fatigues on/All black everything/Black cards, black cars/ All black everything/And our girls are blackbirds…”  - Jay-Z, “Run This Town”

“I might wear all black for four years straight, I might bring back Versace shades…” – Jay-Z, “D.O.A.”

rihanna-intermix-1

Is it safe to say that a huge population of us follow trends that are set in place by Jay-Z? Is urban style being controlled by Simon Says? Think about it. Is music really that powerful? Does Simon have too much say so? Have you pledged your allegiance without being aware?

Let us know.

paper 25 party inside 090909

• Marky1 says:

I can dig it.

• Boss Lady says:

LMAO – this piggybacks my last post about Pharrell :)

I’m guilty of the aforementioned crime (I’m a self-confessed “Jay-Hova’s Witness”) so I’m staying out of this one!

~BL

• 3rdcoasttx says:

i found it particularly assuring that my life is still on correct course. for a couple days i had been feeling as if i was unbecoming of myself, then i read this piece. I have been down in h-town texas rocking all black fits and had the big bourbon sprayed candy black back in 05′ but beginning of 09′ i brought out the never worn colors green, red, blue, etc. You see God forbid someone actually lives and guides their own self through life and be there own individual as i have always seen this one chance i live. My respect to true individuals who lead those born of a diffrent bloodline whom can not comprehend such symbolism of power and control. only through our words, attitude, style, clothes, etc can we truly express ourselves and affirm to the audience who we are. in closing be your own voice if it is in you.

• willie eldorado (yung albino) says:

ive been rocking straight black shirts, black shoes, black jackets, and black hats for 4 years straight now so this is nothing new to me i wear so much black you think some of the dye would have rubbed off on my white self by now lol

• I listen to some of the things he says in his songs but it really has no effect on me. Only time I may rock all black is at the gym and there’s usually something to break it up. I wear all black if I haft to… uhh nevermind. For a while I’ve been rockin brown and dark greys as part of my black.

I got my grown man on before he said to. I do button ups, but all mine are fitted dress shirts with the cuff slightly rolled. Everyone either rocks theirs too tight or it’s sloppy. It differentiates me from other people.

Yeah music is very powerful when used right. You saw what pac did with it. But people do what artist say themselves did or tell others to do. Media itself is a powerful tool, depending on who is using it and who your trying to control.

• fuhrer says:

I always rocked black way before his album came out, I never felt comfortable in rocking too many colours. Its always been darker tees and dark denim.