Home » Sports

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Called Off

Submitted by on January 7, 2010 – 11:04 pm16 Comments

Boxing enthusiasts who looked forward to seeing Floyd Mayweather do 12 rounds with Manny Pacquiao have been sorely disappointed by the news that the fight will not happen. Find out what’s to blame after the jump.Mayweather, who reportedly came within mere seconds of an all-out brawl with hip hop heavyweight Rick Ross this weekend, won’t be fighting Pacquiao because the two camps could not reach a resolution about drug-testing procedures.

They attempted to work the kinks out of the situation through mediation, but the attempt proved unsuccessful. Many speculated that the fight would bring about the biggest payday in boxing history, but Pacquiao was unwilling to accept a compromise on the testing standards.

“Throughout this whole process I have remained patient, but at this point I am thoroughly disgusted that Pacquiao and his representatives are trying to blame me for the fight not happening when clearly the blame is on them,” Mayweather said.

Other issues, such as the types of boxing gloves to be used and the winner’s and loser’s share of the purse, had already been finalized.

The dispute comes in because Mayweather initially called for repeated blood testing up to the day of the fight. Pacquiao wanted a 30-day cutoff before the bout.

Mayweather says he eventually agreed to a 14-day cutoff prior to the bout before mediation began, but that Pacquiao wouldn’t accept.

“In my opinion it is Manny Pacquiao and his team who are denying the people a chance to see the biggest fight ever,” said Mayweather.  “I know the people will see through their smoke screens and lies. I am ready to fight and sign the contract. Manny needs to stop making his excuses, step up and fight.”

Mayweather also added: “First and foremost, not only do I want to fight Manny Pacquiao, I want to whip his punk ass.”

Here’s a question:

If one is not guilty of doping and nothing will show up on the tests, why should it matter when the tests are given? I’m not implicating anyone, but it certainly seems fishy to me for a person to seemingly choose to avoid blood testing.

Pacquiao chose to do his talking in court, filing a lawsuit against Mayweather and his camp. Citing defamation of character, he says that his rival has falsely accused him of using performance-enhancing drugs.

Given the extent of the controversy, even allowing it to result in stopping the fight, what else are we to think?

Many speculate that the match could have brought both fighters up to $40 million.

Hopefully, these guys get themselves together and the fight is re-scheduled.

Your thoughts?

Main Image: LA Times

• MS88 says:

Good article, definetly makes Manny look bad, if both fighters are agreeing to it, then its an even playing field, Manny has no excuse. I’m a fan of both fighters, in particular Pacquiao, but him declining to do this testing even with a $40 million carrot dangling in front of him definetly adds doubt to whether someone can legally be as good as he is.

• Kwaping says:

While it does raise some questions in my mind, there may be things we haven’t considered. Maybe Manny is deathly afraid of needles but doesn’t want to admit it? It’s easy to jump to conclusions, but there are always things we don’t know or haven’t considered.

• Gone_Jah says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• @ Kwaping: While you’re right about not jumping to conclusions, I don’t think it’s likely that Pacquiao has a fear of needles. He agreed to be tested, but wanted a 30-day cutoff for the tests and wouldn’t agree to a 14-day cutoff instead. If he feared needles, it wouldn’t matter when the tests were given because he would still be afraid. To make matters worse, he doesn’t seem to be saying much about the situation so far. Add to that the fact that he filed a lawsuit? He seems to really be trying to hide something and while things may not be quite as obvious as they seem, he should come forward and say something. I want these guys to fight and get paid. I was planning a killer fight party and everything…

• I’d be inclined to acquiesce with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I really like reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

• My Mom recommended that I start with something in which I had an interest.

• LED says:

Thank you so much, nice post! This was the thing I had to know.

• Hi man did you’r have old documents ? I enjoy letter develop so my friend … ..

• Hi friend did you have new articles ? I appreciate clerical improve so my friend … ..

• Örgü says:

Hi friend did you’r have new videos ? I appreciate article improve pro me … ..

• I like this thought. I visited your website for the first time and simply been your fan. Keep posting as I am going to come to read it daily!!

• I enjoy your wordpress theme, where did you get a hold of it?

• Me and my friend were arguing about an issue similar to this! Now I know that I was right. lol! Thanks for the information you post. With bankruptcy law, that’s no different than anything else.

• For smaller loans, you may not need a formal legal agreement, but you should put the key terms of the loan in writing. Have a check on the previous experience and their way to handle the cases.

• According to Tom McCallum, director of industrial crane sales at Manitowoc,The upper section of the door swings out to allow more room in the cab, he said. They are very well known for their maneuverability, which was the driving reason that brought about the original invention.

• Freely you have received, freely give. – Matthew 10:8