Home » Society, Spotlight

Has The Chris Brown Bashing Gone Too Far?

Submitted by on March 17, 2010 – 11:45 am14 Comments

This is coming from someone who was all for Chris Brown receiving severe punishment (and therapy) for the crime he committed against Rihanna last year.

I was a big fan of both him and Rihanna, especially as the adorable couple they once were…

But his violent act was was uncalled for, extreme and totally inexcusable.  I quickly developed a really bad taste in my mouth when it came to Chris Brown.

I realized however, that he is very young and has so far lived a lifestyle that the common 20 year-old would not be able to relate to. On top of that, he experienced domestic violence in his own home against his mother.

Just as I was developing a soft spot for Chris, he came out with those cocky videos calling people “haters” and insisting he’s not a monster.

Things like that made me step back again and think, “has he not learned anything from this?”.

And then I got a taste of the type of verbal abuse Chris has been experiencing for the past year when I read Perez Hilton‘s comments on Twitter the other day.

Chris had previously deleted his Twitter account, after ranting about retailers “blackballing” his latest album, Graffiti, but he came back to the popular social networking site.

In case you missed it, check out the words exchanged between Perez and Chris yesterday:

Of course Perez is referring to when Chris begged his fans to help bring back his career last week:

“Some radio stations aren’t playing my records. They’re not being that supportive and I wouldn’t expect them to. But it’s on the fans…It’s in your power to bring me back.

It won’t be possible for me to be an artist if I don’t have support from people who give me an artist outlet. I can’t be an underground mixtape artist”.

With the media, celebrities and general public continuously throwing their disgust for Chris in his face over a year later, along radio stations not wanting to play his songs, it has to be taking a toll on him emotionally – even with his band of loyal supporters.

Do you think he is deserving of this for as long as it goes, or is enough enough?

And do you think Chris can do anything more to help win fans back?

Source: Buzz Gloss

• Lexy says:

I actually had an abusive ex and had more than one bad case of domestic abuse where in fact neighbours had called the police. My family in fact the entire town were out to get him, of course he was very drunk at the time but it cannot be used as an excuse. It was my decision to stay with him and work through it of course I found it was what everyone referred to as a cycle, but my family did see at that time that he was sorry and did give him a second chance. I do believe Chris Brown should get a second chance but only just that; if he can prove to everyone he’s worked through whatever caused him to lash out and it doesn’t repeat, people should back off- he has done some great music and should not be punished for one incident.

• I don’t know if there is much that he can do right now. I have always thought that it was a mistake for him to try to make a musical comeback so quickly. I think he should have taken a good while (1.5-2 year hiatus) to reflect and grow, so that more of that growth would be evident in his personality and image. I do think that the public has lately become a large group of grudge-holders. There are people who still won’t move on when it comes to Chris Brown, Kanye West, or Tiger Woods (who I also thought should’ve stayed away for a longer period of time). The only other thing is that during his interviews with Larry King and others he seemed more willing to put everything behind him than he was willing to actually deal with it and try to help others to learn from it. That certainly didn’t help. Right now, I would advise him not to concern himself with naysayers or the industry at large. He should merely focus on becoming a better human being and controlling his emotions at peak times. In time, I believe he will get the second chance he seeks. I hope we can come to understand that these celebrities are human beings who make mistakes JUST AS WE DO. The only difference is that theirs occur within the scope of the public eye, allowing us the opportunities to form and voice our opinions. Everyone does reprehensible things from time to time, so there is no need to refuse to forgive public figures for the bad decisions (whether intentional or accidental) that they make. There is also a need to separate an artist’s life from his/her work. Just because one supports an artist’s work does not mean that he has to like every word spoken or deed done by that artist.

• Moe says:

I agree with Chris J The Genius. Even though what Chris did was totally inexcusable, he’s been through enough to have made up for his actions. I don’t even understand why the public still have to bash him. IT’S OVER. LET IT GO. Chris Brown atoned for his actions; everyone needs to stop trying to judge and condemn him for what he did. GOD is the only being on this earth that holds that power. Not MAN. And what Perez Hilton said on Twitter only showed that he lacks class.

• dsuave allday says:

Damn, can he live? Let Chris do his thing.

• vic says:

I definitly think it has went too far. He has followed the judges orders and from what I see is trying to become a better person.

I could see if he has a long history of doing terrible things but this was a big mistake that Im pretty sure he has learned from and I feel he should be forgiven.

• ~*aShLeY*~ says:

People need to learn how to separate there professional life from there personal life. Chris Brown is a talented singer and dancer and yes he made a mistake but he’s not the first, nor the last and certainly not the worst. He seems like a good wholesome kid just trying to live his life, got caught up in something, but i mean at least he’s not doing drugs, at least he’s not rapping about killing people and having kids by all different kinda women. Dont get me wrong, him hitting Rihanna was wrong, but what else can the dude do? He’s gone to therapy, he’s apologized to her, as well as us fans (who in my opinion he owes no apology, he didnt hit us), he’s just trying to get past it the best way he can. Its time to leave the past in the past and move forward, Rihanna did.

• kay says:

This is President Kennedy’s nephew speaking In a statement, Kennedy Shriver said he was fully behind Brown’s efforts at rehabilitation. “I support Chris Brown’s efforts to show the world why he deserves a second chance, given that the commitment he has made to Best Buddies — not only to perform at our Miami Gala, but also to join the Best Buddies family as a volunteer — is a huge step in the right direction,” he said. “I also appreciate Chris’ generous offer to donate a portion of the proceeds from his tour to Best Buddies. I believe Chris’ fans will be equally inspired to support Best Buddies’ mission to provide opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities once they see his enthusiasm and commitment to the cause — and just how much his efforts mean to our participants.” A source close to Brown said that the singer personally chose the two charities and that his commitment to helping them is not court-ordered. Chris ask God for forgiveness and he did just that, these haters better be careful, you don’t know what your future holds, Chris stay strong God got your back.

• katrina says:

@Kay,
    Those were some awesome words! Yes, God does have Chris back, he just has to put his faith into motion. I had the opportunity to meet him and I must say he is the most sweetest guys you will meet. We all fall, but we must get back up and I see Chris doing great things in the next couple of months. Chris continue to hold your head up, keep smiling, and pushing on. God Bless

• [...] Has The Chris Brown Bashing Gone Too Far? | DrJays.com Live … [...]

• MS LINDA says:

why chris have to stay away for 2 or 5 years how come charlie is not staying away something is wrong with this picture repeated offender is getting away with murder seann peann emienm tommie lee mickey rouake do you’ll wants me to do the hold list THEY BEAT those women constansly and one shot one put in the trunk of car and record is #1 on how he beat his one had knife at her throat and stomp and kick one and all faces were worst then rhinna what is wrong with this picture okay 19 year teenager grownassmen teenager have one fight grownass men beat repeatedly how you’ll did not lose respect for these growass men but lose respect for a teenager what is wrong with this picture teenager grownass men is still moving on with their life but you’ll have so much to say about the teenager act the time of the fight yes the bashing has gone to far start on these grown ass men

• David says:

These are genuinely great ideas in regarding blogging.

You have touched some nice things here. Any way keep
    up wrinting.

• Jennifer says:

Hi are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to
    the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
    Do you require any html coding expertise to make your
    own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.

You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your site
    when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

• Chasity says:

I am not positive where you’re getting your information,
    however good topic. I needs to spend a while studying
    much more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I used to be in search of this info for my mission.