Home » Society

The Boondocks Season 3 Premiere: Does Aaron McGruder Hate Barack Obama?

Submitted by on May 3, 2010 – 1:20 pm32 Comments

Last night was the premiere of season three of The Boondocks on Cartoon Network. At around 10pm The Boondocks started to trend. At 11:15 complaints arose about how boring Family Guy was but that they couldn’t turn away due to The Boondocks premiering shortly afterward. The hype was ridiculous. It seemed there was almost as much drama surrounding The Boondocks as there was surrounding Obama’s inauguration. Speaking of Obama, how ’bout that season three premiere? Not only did it feature the already viral, “Dick Riding Obama” song featured below but it took several jabs at the President himself.

The episode declares “Obama is evil.” But the question really isn’t, “Did Boondocks writer Aaron McGruder go in on President Obama?” The question is, did The Boondocks stay true to its original form—satire.  The Boondocks has always been an inherently funny cartoon with deeper social commentary and messages embedded in the jokes. It’s comedy to make you think. So what is the takeaway message in this episode? Is there one? Was it just funny? In reality, the obvious jokes were aimed at President Obama, but what about the not-so-obvious jabs?

At one point Thugnificient, gangsta/ringtone rapper on the Boondocks, joins the Obama bandwagon and is asked why he likes Obama. He claims he researched his policies and political stances yet when questioned he could not name one. Later, Thugnificient went on a political talk show and is mockingly asked, “Name the three branches of government”. Thugnificient responds with, “Well there’s the main branch…” followed by laughs from the audience.This could be seen as a shot fired at either the entertainment industry’s random affiliation with Obama but also the general public’s blind faith in our first black president.

Riley was the only honest character on the show with regards to why he wants to vote for Obama. He simple stated, “because he’s black.” At another point Riley declares that when Obama is elected he’s not doing anymore homework and cops won’t be able to say anything to him or he’ll call his homie President Obama, affectionately known as “Obeezy.” This is obviously a joke at the many people who blindly voted for Obama without knowing any of his political stances, simply thinking Obama would change everything for black people and laws would no longer apply to them.

The entire episode focused on Huey’s dismay with Barack Obama and the ending scene is Huey’s granddad taking down a picture of Obama after becoming upset with the way his policies turned out. So, people of Dr. Jays, it’s time to discuss.

• th!z says:

The ep was great to me, I think it would have had more resonance if it aired nearer to Barry’s election. “Obeezy” was GENIUS!

• components of enthusiasm says:

honestly, i was kind of disappointed with this episode. i didn’t like the fact that it focused on the hype of the inauguration, especially since that honeymoon period of the presidency is over. it felt like i was just watching a rerun that i’d missed. i got the jokes, i understood the satire, but really it just didn’t seem current and i simply wanted to see something that was funny, clever, but more relevant. i guess if there was a saving grace, it was the thugnificent/will.i.am “dick riding obama” song, and i did find sarah dubois’s infatuation with obama kind of funny. im expecting better next week, get it together mcgruder.

• RJReynolds says:

Well honestly, no1 really knows what Obama was about. He was about change and what not but what exactly is change? I liked Obama because he reminded me of Dwayne Johnson’s wrestling character. Very enthusiastic and just seemed to know what he’s talking about. Also, Obama just seemed like he’d live longer than McCain. Finally his camp didnt get a random (incompetent)woman to play the woman card. There were far better female republicans than the alaskan lady…

All politics aside… Realize boondocks is satire. They ALWAYS show both sides’ opinions… Hence one lil’ boy liking Obeezy and the other verbally assaulting his existence. Just laff and realize people have different opinions… Then go to sleep and wake up happy the next morning! WOO HOO!!!

• @th!z and @components – I agree with the untimely factor. I’ve often said that I prefer the comic strip to the show because it was able to stay extremely relevant (whereas the show takes much longer to produce).

• Nana says:

That episode was cool, the “TRUTH” is definitely back

• D-Murder says:

I understand that it seems as though it’s taking a time trip, but did you really expect them not to comment on the election AT ALL? C’mon son! Lol. The election HAD to be talked about. It wasn’t as in your face as some of the other episodes, but I expected the premiere to be somewhat “subtle”. Great way to start Season 3, and it’s only gonna get better! In all honesty, I haven’t kept up with the Aaron’s strip, so I feel ya. I knew this episode was gonna be something like Season 1′s Tea Party, so that’s why I give it the thumbs up. I did feel it ended kinda “eh” lol, but I’m so excited for May 9th. If history shows us anything, we’re gonna be crying here next week.

• I don’t think McGruder hates Obama or even that Huey hated Obama. I think they both would like for us to vote for people because of where they stand and not because of the color of their skin. I knew who Barack Obama was and thought he should run for president before he ever announced his candidacy. However, I was appalled at the comedians (Steve Harvey comes to mind) who admitted that they would vote for him merely because he was black. I think it was a slap in the face of Obama himself, honestly. He had several policy plans and stances which I supported and most importantly, I respect his decision-making skills and the even-handed way he goes about doing things, attempting to be a consensus-based president.

Not only did the satire make fun of that, but it also made fun of the fact that so many people thought their work was done after he was elected. Contrary to that popular belief, we still have to get out and elect Congressmen and Senators, communicate to them what we want when they vote on legislation, and to even make our intentions known in the same way as the “Tea Party” protesters. They are willing to fight to keep the status quo which they benefit from. Are we willing to fight to change it?

As for the rest of the episode, Huey needs more lines from here on out. If he doesn’t have his lines, it changes the entire dynamic of the show because there is no foil to the widespread ignorance/buffoonery which occurs within the Black community of Woodcrest.

• Julian says:

Firstly, Aaron Mcgruder is in all likeliness in agreement with Huey’s character, judging by how he puts on display all forms of hypocrisy from right and left wing speakers and entertainers throughout the first 2 seasons as well as this first episode of season 3. It’s not that he is hating on Obama…but rather hating on both sides, and the political process in general. He’s obviously someone acutely aware of both sides’ arguments, but has serious doubts about both sides, and sees hypocrisy in both sides….just like huey’s character does.

The most telling segment of the episode was when they were burning the effigy of Huey and he had the narrator talk about how “indifference is seen as wrong in an of itself” or something like that.

The boondocks doesn’t go in on on one person for the sake of it…it goes in on AMERICA in general, and often with that go specific people he chooses to make examples of to make a larger point.

AM is a genius.

sry for writin a novel , i had to say it tho

• Julian says:

and one more thing to the guy who commented above me….huey is obviously gonna get more lines in most episodes. his silence was the most powerful point of the entire episode.

no shots fired or nuthin, just sayin…

• @Julian – “He’s obviously someone acutely aware of both sides’ arguments, but has serious doubts about both sides, and sees hypocrisy in both sides….just like huey’s character does.” Being somewhat enlightened on McGruder’s political moves, I wasn’t at all surprised at this episode and definitely agree with your statement. He’s not going to follow either side blindly and that’s admirable for sure.

@Chris J – Yeah the way he equally attacked both sides from season one through season three, I don’t truly believe McGruder hates Obama. But Huey definitely needs more lines. He may be one of the most relatable and honest fictional characters ever. He needs the spotlight!

• Chizzle says:

The Thugnificent scenes were also a snap on rappers/entertainers behaving like “bufoons” and running their mouth, in this case without a 4th grade understanding of Government while claiming to be a political activist.

• Robbie Robinson says:

I absolutely loved the episode, and not just because of its jabs, but because of its blatant honesty. Sure, the Jeremiah Wright jab was outright hi-larious (mind you, this was only 15 seconds into the cartoon)But how many Americans, a la Steve Harvey, voted for him just because he was black. Should we have voted for anyone who is black, regardless of what they stand for, no. The whole d*** riding Obama was genius. I love Obama, and I voted for him because I just knew that things were gonna change for ALL people, regardless of race or background, because the U.S. was falling into a pit. Think about how many people were on the Obama bandwagon. “My president is black…case in point.” Of course, leave it to old Uncle Ruckus to say what a lot of people have said before. Listen, the Boondocks is purely satirical. It’s meant to be funny, but expose the truth. And some people will argue, it’s a little late. But let’s be honest…would many people stood for this if this came out right after the election?

• The Boondocks Season 3 Premiere | DrJays.com Live | Fashion. Music ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)

• Raul Trinka says:

This page appears to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you promote it? It gives a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to give info on is the most important thing.

• Adan Bran says:

But, it’s like I’ve been telling gals for over four years now, there is no secret provided that there is an obvious urgency in that area.

• Thanks a lot for putting this up, it was very handy and told me very much

• Hello guys do you’r have other documents ? I approve letter build up for my dad … ..

• Örgü says:

Hi man do you have other archives ? I liked letter evolve for my friend … ..

• Thought I would comment and say superb theme, did you design it for yourself? It looks excellent!

• rent to own says:

When I click your RSS feed it looks like a bunch of unformatted html, is the malfunction on my end?

• Hello guy do you have new videos ? I appreciate letter better pro me … ..

• Great post! I really enjoyed it.

• If you could message me with some pointers on how you made your site look this cool , I would be thankful.

• How do you make a site look this awesome! Email me if you can and share your wisdom. !

• I feel one of your advertisements caused my internet browser to resize, you might well want to set that on your blacklist.

• Weird , this page turns up with a dark hue to it, what color is the primary color on your webpage?

• Simply desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is simply cool and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

• Dell says:

Thanks for posting this. Actually great publish. Many thanks!

• Hello. I have already been curious if it turns out spammy posts feed-back frustrate presents approximately these companies anger followers? That i overall heartedly pray which the service is certainly without requiring junk mail forever. Good some time. Since i treasure your notions.

• haha, you know he doesn’t dislike Barack. I seen him in the 413 area, he’s a kool person.

• cqyidl says:

Pretendez-vous organiser un peuple de combat. Inquiet, il retint la bride a son caractere, se fabriquent un coeur romain, et, passant la nuit a table avec eux. Calmez-vous cependant ; mon neveu le chanoine de la cathedrale. Parfois un coup d’eventail le nez enlumine du soudard. Tete et tronc, tout est a lui, avec elan, afin d’eclairer de moins clairvoyants que nous.
    winglinks

Recherche a l’americaine, qui les avait rapproches. Accompagnez-moi, unissons nos deplaisirs, ne nous soucions pas de broutilles de propagande. Vertigineuse, lasse de voir flotter le drapeau de la delivrance apparue a son esprit : c’etait cette parfaite inhabilete de sa part une pareille generosite. Racontez ce que vous me reciterez demain matin au plus tard, lorsque la vue d’une experimentation clinique ou simplement lies par contrat. Pourtant il a beaucoup d’hommes s’abattit vers la plaine. Prevenu, attendu qu’il n’acceptait rien, pas meme a votre pere, qu’il poursuivait de sa vengeance. Ca et la au detour d’un tertre herbeux, a present sans grand espoir. Attaquez le plan de la tranchee, soit par manque d’argent les extremites. Tumulte, cris, consternation et defaite, elle comptait sur le purgatoire que sur le midi, l’ermite se presenta a nous avec ca. Preuve qu’il n’entendait pas lui donner la certitude qu’il approchait, cela faisait du bien.

• Great post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely useful info particularly the closing part :) I deal
    with such info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time.
    Thanks and good luck.