Home » Screen, Spotlight

BET Awards 2010: Winners, Losers… And Chris Brown

Submitted by on June 28, 2010 – 9:07 am46 Comments

What a night! The 2010 BET Awards definitely did not disappoint. Check the rundown…

Kanye West kicked things off with an eagerly anticipated performance of his new single, “Power.” Perched atop a mountain surrounded by lava and wearing a huge gold Pharaoh chain, ‘Ye’s presence was as commanding as ever. Queen Latifah then hit the stage as the night’s host, performing a cabaret-inspired opening sequence complete with the first of many outfit changes for the night. Jada Pinkett Smith came out as the first presenter, giving a jubilant Alicia Keys the Best Female R&B Artist award. Usher smoothed things out even more with a sexy performance of “There Goes My Baby,” followed by Nicki Minaj being awarded Best Female Hip-Hop Act (no surprise to anyone) and dedicating it to Lil Wayne.

Backed by Travis Barker on the drums, a determined-looking T.I. grabbed the mic next to perform his new single “Yeah Ya Know.” Actors Nia Long and Larenz Tate, who performed a steamy rendition of their classic spoken word interactions in 1997′s Love Jones, presented Best Hip-Hop Artist to a visibly humble Drake (somewhat of a surprise winner over seasoned veteran Jay-Z). Five months pregnant and glowing, Alicia Keys then performed a medley of her hits “No One,” “Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart,” “If I Ain’t Got You” (with gospel singer Kim Burrell) and “Unthinkable.” The next significant moment undoubtedly came when Queen Latifah and T.I. introduced B.o.B who performed his single “Airplanes” (with surprise vocalist Keyshia Cole), and was followed by a solemn-looking Eminem, who seemingly came out of nowhere to perform his new hits and remind everyone why he’s one of the greatest MCs of all time.

Fashion choices aside (people on Twitter were saying she looked like everything from a bat to The Count from Sesame Street) Monica tore down “Everything To Me” in a duet with soul singer Deniece Williams. With her matured voice sounding similar to her idol Whitney Houston‘s, Mo then presented Best Collaboration to Alicia Keys for her duet with Jay-Z, “Empire State Of Mind.” The “ooh” moment of the night followed straight after Latifah announcing the next performer (Diddy) as “only seen in the company of fine women—just like me,” perhaps alluding to her long-debated sexual preference. Diddy woke the audience up with a spirited rendition of the “Hello, Good Morning” remix, with Dirty Money, T.I. and Nicki Minaj rocking out amidst over-zealous smoke machines.

The highlight of the night came when Jermaine Jackson introduced the Michael Jackson tribute without saying the name of the performer, only guaranteeing it would be phenomenal. And it was. A determined Chris Brown put his heart and soul into paying homage to his idol, and then some. While he was a little shaky on the spins and the Moonwalk, he nailed pretty much everything else, reminding everyone why he’s a star. While his past will never be forgotten, Chris’s intense and very real emotional breakdown to “Man In The Mirror” (which had audience members like Melanie Fiona screaming out in support) will forever be a turning point in his career.

Latifah announced Drake up next, and the Toronto-born star brought out Young Jeezy for a solid performance of “Lose My Mind (Remix).” Drake dedicated his win of the night to his mother, as did Trey Songz when the Black Eyed Peas presented him with Best Male R&B Artist. The appearance of El DeBarge, who performed a string of hits (including one of my favorites, “Rhythm Of The Night”) was a huge surprise and definite crowd-pleaser, as were tributes to Gary Coleman (by former Diff’rent Strokes co-star Todd Bridges) and Teddy Pendergrass (by Tyrese).

The gospel contingent (Kirk Franklin, Yolanda Adams, et al) dedicated a moving tribute song to Haiti, and Chairwoman/CEO of BET, Debra Lee, presented an emotional John Legend with the Humanitarian Award. Trey Songz returned to the stage to perform his steamy “Your Side Of The Bed” and attempted to cover Prince‘s “Purple Rain,” a valiant effort that received a lukewarm reaction from The Purple One himself. When it came time for Prince’s official Icon Award, however, the performers he reportedly handpicked to perform for him—Janelle Monae (“Let’s Go Crazy”), Esperanza Spalding (“If I Was Your Girlfriend”), Alicia Keys (“Adore”) and Patti LaBelle (a killer rendition of “Purple Rain”)—got him up off his feet, cheering and reveling in the moment. For his part, Prince said: “I was pretty wild in my younger days and you don’t have to do what I did…you don’t have to make any of the mistakes I made. The future is in your hands now, the world is really yours.” The last performance of the night, Ludacris‘s “My Chick Bad” mashed up with DJ Khaled‘s hit “All I Do Is Win (Remix),” definitely gave the awards a high-energy finale.

What were your favorite moments of the 2010 BET Awards?

Images: MTV.com

• mukebezi sarah says:

wow is all i can say for chris brown

• cee says:

First time in a while the BET awards have been relevant. Debarge’s performance was not overproduced and relied just on good music and was one of the highlights of the night.

• lmt says:

Chris Brown was phenomenal last night. MJ would have been out of his seat applauding his tribute. I cannot believe some news outlets are trying to use his performance as another way to continue to ‘punish’ him for his mistake by suggesting that he was not being genuine in his performance. Anybody who watched his performance knows that the tears and emotions were real. Just imagine for a moment all that he has gone through in the past year. At one point, at the age of 19 y/o it wasn’t known if he would ever perform again. Fast forward to a year later and to have the whole audience up on thier feet–my God, I was crying even before he was crying.

• Jacobson says:

Chris Brown’s career has just been revived…..

• [...] BET Awards 2010: Winners, Losers… And Chris BrownDrJays.com Live (blog)A determined Chris Brown put his heart and soul into paying homage to his idol, and then some. While he was a little shaky on the spins and the Moonwalk, …The WINs & FAILs Of The 2010 BET AwardsVibeChris Brown’s emtional tribute to Michael Jackson at Bet awards 2010:videoYoblips.com (blog)chris brown bet awards 2010Showbiz99.comBillboard -Examiner.com -About – News Issues (blog)all 86 news articles [...]

• susan says:

you the best chris i am counting days iam woman and i am telling you rihanna will cry for you someday,and regreat that she lost the best man in the world.

• tanya says:

CHRIS BROWN’S PERFORMANCE WAS NOTHING LESS THAN EXCEPTIONAL. IT REALLY WAS AMAZING TO SEE HIM MOVE SO PERFECTLY. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO COMMEND BET FOR ALLOWING HIM TO PERFORM SUCH AN ACT AND THE TOP IT OFF TO SING MAN IN THE MIRROR. IT REALLY ALLOWED THIS YOUNG MAN TO SHOW HIS REPENTANCE AND REGRET FOR HIS MISTAKES. ITS REALLY A GOOD THING WHEN WE CAN GET REPRIMANDED FOR MISTAKES AND LEARN FROM THEM AT AN EARLY AGE. I AM IN YOUR CORNER CHRIS.

• paul rocks..duh says:

How do they forget Guru??

• sabo says:

Well C Brown can dance (we all knew that already) but spare me his crying? Like you all mentioned his dancing of MJ was spot on, takes alot of concetrating and perfect choereograpy, meaning he had no issues with emotions as he did a spot on imatation of MJ`s dance moves. Not easily done. Yet suddenly he looses it after being in a zone for the first 4 or 5 minutes? I as almost 50% of the rest of the country feel it was a joke and his way of pleading for forgiveness. Cause you cried makes it real? MJ has passed and the song is beautiful song, 80% of the fans cried when MJ sang it back in the day. But MJ didnt!! See the diference? Guy was blubbering mess and that doesnt change a thing, we all knew he could throw down! Moronic writers saying his dancing might have won fans back? Huh? Never a question about his dancing ability? I just now see him not only as phony (most women beaters are) but unprofessional also! Sh…..t got performers on every kind of drug possible. Could go on for days. But always finish the performance dont they! ALWAYS!! Maybe a little breakdown? But he slobbered for longer then i did at my moms funeral. But you all bought it, too bad half the country didnt! And all the fans/audience knew the words also? Yet did they help him? NOPE! Heard maybe 15% of the audience helping him out? Ya they wernt fulled either, just thinking “what an idiot!” Its been over a yr since MJ passing and his fight with Rihanna, just as long ago. Let it go you douche!

• jett says:

Chris Brown’s performance blew my mind away. He was not crying just for Michael. He was crying because this was the first time that someone allowed him public arena in which to display his varied talents. Doors have closed to him left and right and people who he thought were his friends are long gone. The emotion of the song, performing the tribute to Michael (that he wanted to do last year, but Jigga blocked it) and knowing that this was likely one of the only shots he would have to nail it got to him and I was impressed. I was impressed with the precision in which he carried out his moves and further impressed with the humanity he showed in seizing the opportunity that he had to fight for and that had once been handed to him on a silver platter. I am woman and I support Chris Brown 150%; he is young and deserves a second chance–the major difference between and the other millions of men in the same situation is that his drama was played out before a national stage. He is contrite and genuine and appears as though he is trying to move on with his life. Everyone else needs to do the same. I love you, Chris and wish you much love, peace and success. Thank you to BET for allowing him to perform.

• jett says:

Chris Brown’s performance blew my mind away. He was not crying just for Michael. He was crying because this was the first time that someone allowed him public arena in which to display his varied talents since he hit Rihanna. He was absolutely wrong, but shouldn’t have to suffer the rest of his life. Doors have been closed to him left and right and people who he thought were his friends are long gone. The emotion of the song, performing the tribute to Michael (that he wanted to do last year, but Jigga blocked it) and knowing that this was likely one of the only shots he would have to nail it got to him and I was impressed. I was impressed with the precision in which he carried out his moves and further impressed with the humanity he showed in seizing the opportunity that he had to fight for and that had once been handed to him on a silver platter. I am woman and I support Chris Brown 150%; he is young and deserves a second chance–the major difference between Chris and the other millions of men in the same situation is that his drama was played out before a national stage. He is contrite and genuine and appears as though he is trying to move on with his life. Everyone else needs to do the same. I love you, Chris and wish you much love, peace and success. Thank you to BET for allowing him to perform. RIP Michael.

• OH SO NICE says:

sabo……. My god! You would be the hater of all of the comments wouldnt you? Anyway Chris Brown did his thing and anyone who says else wise is a pure hater or simply dislikes Chris Brown POINT BLANK. How can anyone say his tears were not real, are you serious? This man has went through alot and not to mention thought the world Of Michael Jackson, and had a breakdown. You go Chris Brown, always a fan and never stopped being one either.

• EILEYEUEM says:

SABO, forgive me! U must be JESUS-he’s perfect, thus he doesn’t need our empty, petty, litte wretched forgiveness] and you haven’t ever needed forgiveness for ANYTHING in ur perfect life… it’s amazing how we JUDGE OTHERS’ for what they do and just because we don’t do those particular things, we FEEL that it’s ok to look down on them! You need to find something that you’re good @ professionally (if there is something that you could possibly come up with) add your personal laundry, the media, stupid haters {like urself that clearly don’t know the full story}(JAY-Z) just as the entire rest of the world, and see how you are treated!!!!! BTW, u’r the douche bottle-not bag for thinking that somebody has to prove anything to your ass of all people! Clearly you don’t forgive anybody for anything so why should anyone in the world bother with you?!? And what lessons did your mom teach you before she passed? Obviously not love and compassion, which is probably why you DIDN’T cry at your own mother’s funeral. Frankly ur shit sounds personal, and you need counseling, he’s already surpassed you!

• Lisa Lee says:

I can’t thank Chris enough for his outstanding performance. Looking at the man in the mirror also was perfect for him. People make mistakes as we all have as teenagers and young adults. Let’s move on with it. Michael Jackson deserved someone to represent him and Chris Brown is very talented. I don’t know why they had only women for Prince. I think that was truly wrong, El Debarge could have sung some of his songs, maxwell as well as others. Alicia Keys did a great job being pregnant on top of the piano she knows her piano. It was great to see Denise Williams after so many years. Why prince didn’t perform after receiving his award? I was shocked. He deserved that award 10 years ago so BET could have done better with his life time achievement award. El Debarge I can’t wait for his new CD. I’m glad he performed. Usher did his thing too. The rap with the cursing should not be in the song on BET cause most of the songs were beeped out. Ludacris represented also it was great to see Busta Rhymes too.

• Eliza says:

SABO – Really? What has you so bitter to another human being. I do not condone physical abuse on anyone, but to direct such venom to someone is just plain mean. Life will one day teach you a lesson about fogiveness – how long is someone to pay for their errors? especially someone who has learned a very hard life lesson at such an early age?
    I believe that his performance was point on and his emotion was real. Aside from Chris Brown, I loved “light skin and wavy” and Janelle Monae’s performance was great – the female James Brown. With 4 nominations, I was hoping to see a performance by the soulful Melanie Fiona and as for Latifa – she rocked!!!!

• Frost says:

I wanted to comment on how people are whispering about if Queen Latifah announced to everyone that she was a lesbian after the comment mentioned above.

She was playing the role of her character, Cleo, in Set It Off. Cleo was an open lesbian in that movie.

Even though I believe she is a big ol’ lesbian, that comment had nothing to do with her coming out of the closet.

I also wanted to say how it’s ridiculous people think Chris crying was an act. Chris Brown cannot act, and definately not that well. And it was obvious that he was crying because he finally got to do a performance he’s been waiting a year to do. He knew it was make or break time and given Man in the Mirror is already such an emotional song, he couldn’t handle the pressure when it came time for him to sing.

Point – blank – period.

• TSG says:

Sabo…Shut the hell up and get a life! and another thing, Didn’t God said in his word:” Judge ye not yet ye be judged”.You’re not perfect,I’m not perfect and nobody’s perfect!. People like u piss me off wit dat crap, y’all so quick to judge people about their past knowin’ dat y’all got skeletons in y’all closet! Chris Brown went through a whole lot of BS in his life to regain his stardom and he ain’t shed those tears for nuthin’. His emotions is for real. And for you to make a comment like dat, you have no forgiveness,and heart is PITCH BLACK!!!Do me a favor, if you have nothin good to say about chris brown and people like him,Keep ya damn mouth SHUT!!!!

• pamela says:

Great show: Hats off the Queen who did an excellent job. Chris Brown just AWESOME!!!!! EL was wonderful, great performance. Alicia Keys rock the microphone-she got up on the piano and did her thing. The tribute to such a wonderful legend, Prince, was executed well. So many memorable moments. BET network keeps us thrilled! Great job to all.

• Neisha says:

SABO – okay first off he cried because he misses Michael, just like we all do, and that was his first MJ tribute so of course he gonna cry no matter how long he does it. He also cried because the song meant something regarding the issues wif Rihanna MAN IN THE MIRROR, goin through a change in life. The the 85% of audience members you didnt hear singin along were shocked that he broke down like that they wern’t thikin anything bad of it. Only you and maybe 1,000 other unimportant people thought it was for show or unnecessary. But to stay on topic TREY SONGZ had the best performance because i love him but if it wasn’t for the love i wud say Chris had the best performance .!

• [...] BET Awards 2010: Winners, Losers… And Chris BrownDrJays.com Live (blog)The gospel contingent (Kirk Franklin, Yolanda Adams, et al) dedicated a moving tribute song to Haiti, and Chairwoman/CEO of BET, Debra Lee, presented an …BET Awards 2010 nominees list, time & performers (VIDEO)Gather.comBET Awards: Running DiarySeattle Post Intelligencer (blog)Celebrity newsNEXTTheCelebrityCafe.com -The Virginian-Pilot -Crave Onlineall 2,047 news articles » [...]

• [...] BET Awards 2010: Winners, Losers And…Chris Brown | DrJays.com Live | Fashion. Music. Lifestyle [...]

• Jim says:

wow it’s all cool

• Ricky says:

Man chris tore it up…he did good..its hard to bounce back from a big mistake in his life…people worrying about his carrear the kid tryin to rebuild his life..it got torn apart by everyone when that shit happend…let him live…their are people in the world who make prolly the biggest mistakes in thier life and never bounce back from it and it destroyes them..chris i applaud you bro..keep ur head up things will be ok..jus dont fuck up agian..

• Airplanes says:

Unfortunately Chris Brown ruined his show!

• Dominique says:

word chris did amazing at the bet awardsz sabo yuh a HATERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! CHIRSZ WAS AWESOME

• Hans Jorgensen says:

I have to hear just what thinks about that =D

humidor

• Muriel says:

Hey , lol?!

Kind regards

Davidoff Special R Tubos

• Janine says:

This is the BEST post that I have read all day!

counter web

• Carlos Rhoades says:

Clarence FAIL…

-Kindest regards,
    Emmett

gb bilder eu

• Rose says:

Hey Ericka, whatever!?!

Dana

ginseng korean

• Socorro says:

Possibly the GREATEST post that I have read this week…

Haley

free baby clothes

• Leanne says:

Hey Tracey, ROFL?

kuhinje

• Aubrey Hoffman says:

Roberta is the greatest?

Yours truly
    Maggie

gume

• Frankie Roman says:

Jasmine, whatever :P

Toko Baju

• Randi Munson says:

Could be the greatest thing I read ever??

Yours,
    Gerald

Tas Ransel

• Cassie Bui says:

Great post! I want you to follow up to this topic :)

-Yours
    Danial

parketarstvo

• Stacie Barnard says:

Daniel is the greatest??

-Sincerest Regards,
    Jenna

chat fun

• Virginia Gregory says:

I am wondering just what Katie thinks with this!?!

-Kindest Regards
    Brain

online apotheken günstig

• I think the admin of this web page is truly working hard in support of his
    site, because here every material is quality based information.

• Hello, i believe that i noticed you visited my blog thus i came to go
    back the favor?.I am trying to in finding issues to
    improve my site!I suppose its adequate to make use
    of some of your ideas!!

• Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favourite reason seemed to be on the
    internet the simplest factor to bear in mind of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed at the same time as folks think about issues
    that they just don’t realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also
    outlined out the whole thing with no need side effect , other folks can take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

• Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks I have read stuff
    from. Many thanks for posting when you’ve got the
    opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.

• To wait patiently for the release on Pc next month, take
    a massive breath of fresh air with new screenshots of Farming Simulator 15 , that bring us to the beautiful countryside of the new Nordic environment!