Home » Gossip, Spotlight

The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Reunion Show Will Be Missing One Aunt Viv

Submitted by on July 29, 2010 – 10:10 am15 Comments

Last night, I received word about the possibility of there being a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reunion show. According to celebrific.com, the entire cast is currently in talks about doing the show, which will air in early 2011 if it happens. The hit 90s television series turned Will Smith into a household name, and was a staple in the homes of mainstream America from 1990 until it went off the air in 1996. If a reunion show makes it to the small screen, it will without a doubt be a ratings smash.

But at least one member of the original cast will not make it to the reunion (hell, I doubt she even gets an invite), and that’s Janet Hubert. As fans of the Fresh Prince probably recall, Hubert played Vivian Banks (affectionately referred to as “Aunt Viv” by Smith’s character) from the start of the show in 1990 until her controversial firing in 1993. Rumors that her unceremonious departure was a result of the troubled relationship between she and Big Willie continue to circulate to this day, and during a recent episode of TV One’s Life After episode, the actress gave her side of things. Hubert said of Smith:

“No I will not play your games. No I will not come to your dressing room and dance. I’m not a groupie. You know, I’m a grown, mature, thirty-eight year-old woman. And someone who is 22 years-old, if you want me to kiss you’re a**, then you had to put it in my contract.”

Speechless. And I’m sure all that mouth had nothing to do with all the behind the scenes drama. SMH–a bar of unsweetened chocolate and cup of pitch-black coffee combined don’t have anything on this broad’s bitterness. Check it out from the horse’s mouth in the video below:

• anthony R says:

nobody cares about her anyways, i thought the other aunt viv was better, obvisouly, they made the right choice she was nothing before, on, or after the show, bet she would kiss will’s a.s.s. now…….

• Frost says:

I liked her as Aunt Viv. She brought life to the character.

And her comments on the episode? I laughed out loud — I thought she was witty. Bitter or not, the woman is funny.

• I’m pretty sure if she knew she was going to get fired she would’ve put it a different way. And she can hang on to that moment. I’m sure will is sore about while counting his millions and furthering his acting resume. If there is a reunion show, she should get over it and go. All these years over a moment is stupid. There’s hella bank to be made.

As vivian she was good, and so was the woman after her. They were just good in their own ways.

• Giselle Boyd says:

I think Janet Hubert was the best and only aunt Viv. She brought class and humor to the role. Get her to attend the 2011 reunion.

• Paul says:

I dont really care which actress plays aunt viv, although the one i could do without is the ashley character, always a bore, equivelent to lisa in the simpsons. Will, Carlton, smokin’ hot Hilary and Uncle Phil is all that show needs.

• jonelle says:

who are you to call someone bitter. She didn’t want to kiss his ass. You can call yourself the hip hop socialite but you are a hip hop kiss ass for Will Smith. you are a coward you say this stuff and don’t give your real name. Ms Hubert is not afraid of anyone, I applaud her courage. To finally let the world that has chastised her for all these years and set the record straight. Calling someone a bitter broad, maybe you should ask your momma if she is bitter for having a dumb ass child like you. Ms Hubert is what Black women used to be made of. She helped make that show, she gave it style, unbelievable beauty, and elegance. If there is a reunion and she is not there then no one will care it will not be a true reunion. Will needs to grow up, man up, say he is sorry for what he did to her. Instead of shoving his damn children down our throats with their limited talents. He gave his damn kid billing over Jackie Chan, or did you notice. Wait you are a hip hop socialite and most of your kind is really unintelligent. Downright stupid.

• poo says:

^ shuttup

• thomas says:

she sucked as an actor anyways, and ugly as hell. The other aunt viv was way better looking, and a better actor

• alisha says:

Thomas looks do not equal talent. and Jonelle, I agree fully with what you said. The original aunt viv is the one and only acceptable aunt viv. the other one was boring, talentless, and dull. if Janet isnt there, I wont like it very much. Will is a douchebag if I’ve ever heard of one.

• Ricky says:

The original Aunt Viv was definitely better but either way it was still an awesome show and Aunt Viv wasn’t a big enough role to break the show. I’m fine with the new Aunt Viv at the reunion when the old one acts like that… Will Smith is like the best actor ever you bet your ass you have to kiss his ass lol

• Cameron says:

So is this still happening? lol
    I haven’t heard anything on it in so long! :(

• You have mentioned very interesting points! ps decent web site. Choose thomas sabo To Reflect Your style http://websoccr.de/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=20445

• Pooh Man says:

Original Aunt Viv was sexy and elegant. She did seem like she had a strong attitude, which people from different lifestyles may have, but it is the end result that mattered. Will Smith does have an ego that is out of control and he had it all of his life. This is the same guy who said he turned down Django because it was not the lead role, even though the movie is called Django. Say what you want, but I’d still like to deal with the first Aunt Viv!

• He added that 200 US experts were providing training on how to deal with a chemical attack, and that 700 US troops were operating Patriot missile systems and F-16 warplanes.

• “However, at 4am on the following day, I received a call from her friend telling me that my daughter was involved in an accident and she was admitted to Queen Rania Abdullah Hospital in Petra.