Home » Fashion News, Spotlight, Style

The Dos And Don’ts Of Men’s Skinny Jeans

Submitted by on October 18, 2010 – 9:06 am18 Comments

Men in skinny jeans/pants aren’t going anywhere. If you are, or plan on being, one of these brave skinny-jean-wearing fellas, at least let us help you get the look right. As in, not looking like you’re wearing women’s jeans and keeping your private parts concealed.

Check out a few dos and don’ts in this department:

DON’T: Pair bold-colored skinny jeans with equally bold contrasting shades and prints.

DO: Mix colored bottoms with neutral pieces.

Kanye West

DON’T: Wear the growing Harem trend so tight you can’t even walk.

DO: Sport this trend with a more relaxed and comfortable fit.

Last but not least…

DON’T: Be blind to the fact that you are suffocating (and exposing) your genitals in too-tight, ill-fitting skinnies.

DO: Pay attention to the way skinny jeans fit you. Opt for some breathing space. Check out some great examples of skinny and skinny-ish jean “DOs” from DrJays.com:

Trip Slim Fit Denim Jeans by Marc Ecko Cut & Sew

Grey Denim Jean by Cloque & Dagger

511 Button Back Skinny Fit Jeans by Levi’s

• Thanks, Kiki!

I’m trying out the straight leg look, not exactly skinny jeans (because I co-sign that infamous Jay-Z line) but I’ve lost a little weight and the fit is slimmer. Plus, I like to tuck ‘em into my sneakers, so this info helps a lot!

• Meh says:

I have no real issue with this trend unless,people are buying it at inflated prices.
    I can’t pull this look off i would never try, my legs are way to long. Thought they killed off skinny jeans last year there must be tons of them on store shelves out there.I am all for jeans that fit all my jeans have always fit properly low rise relaxed fit boot cut it’s all you really need.Those HAREM JEANS JUST WOW what is that about just terrible.

Brightly colored skittles jeans belong in grade school sorry. Lastly they sell most of these styles at the premium denim price point Nudie,7′s,PRSP,Gucci,Citizens of Humanity,W Rast.This here needs to stop they are just casual jeans.What’s to much to pay for some TRENDY jeans $2000,$3000?Rocawear has premium denim now(for Haiti) but still $260 for some slim fit rocawear jeans.Enough is enough already this jean fever everyone has is a bubble.It will pop, hopefully not while your wearing your lime green $3000 dollar skinny jeans.

• sebastian says:

i dont find the jeans that are shown above as skinny jeans…. im 20 and ive been wearing skinny jeans for about 3 years and well those jeans are just slim. to me they are baggy. the only pair i consider skinny is the first bright blue pairs. the others are just slim fitting. me being well very thin (28″ waist) i can fit into the jeans. i dont find it truthful that they are only showing slim fitting jeans and not actual skinny jeans. and wat in gods name is the harem trend? do people actually wear them?

to me skinny jeans are very comfortable, but there is no point of people buying them for such a huge pricetag. i feel that instead of showing jeans like levi’s, and cloak and dagger. wait y does ecko have skinny jeans? thats not right they specialize in those gangter baggy things you guys should put up prices for AFFORDABLE jeans. sauch as social collision which you can get at hot topic. they are very good and they are only $30 compared to like $100 with all these others. other brands are empire, kr3w, ccs, etc. note: these are all skater type jeans. but they are actual skinny jeans with look good and fit how skinny jeans should fit. i want to see more variety when it comes to the brands and not only show the popular brands. the other brands are just as good. lastly, dont post pictures of kanye west in slim jeans. like he is only there cause he is very famous. pick lesser known people that actually wear skinny jeans. like people from punk bands. and all that. dont make it all mainstream.

• I like brightly colored skinnies on men…very fashionable but I’m not gonna lie, it can be a little “gay best friend”

• Mltd Coupons says:

Slim Fit is always nice, but not too slim.

• Wilhelm says:

There is no such thing as woman’s jeans, they are more appropriately named transvestite jeans found exclusively in juniors ( masculine name for teen-aged girls ) & women’s departments. Pants, therefore, jeans also , traditionally and historically menswear not female wear.Men should logically have a lot more freedom within menswear than cross-dressing women but this isn’t the case the last fifty years

• I posted about this earlier on my own site. Your article has actually given me some food for thought, I really feel you could have made many very intriguing points. I wish I’d found it earlier, prior to writing my own post.

• John says:

I agree with Sebastian. You can certainly pick up a good pair of skinny jeans without spending a lot of money. Personally, I wear Social Collison, as I find them to be form-fitting, as well as comfortable. Sure, they’re tight, but contrary to popular belief, still allow for a good range of motion. I’m wearing a pair right now, and can easily kick over my head without risking a tear.

I’m 22 and have been wearing SC jeans for several years now. Just ordered 4 more pairs online in fact. Not to sound like a sales person or anything, but if you’re looking for a good, affordable skinny jean, give em a try :P

No way in hell would I pay over $100 for a pair of jeans, let alone THOUSANDS…

• found this so hilarious and useful to boot. :D lol. cant believe some people can actually walk out the door like the 3rd DON’T example.

• jerry says:

where did kanye get those green pants? are those skinnies? or slim fit? , i usualy wear 30×30, for skinnies how many size up would i need to go? thanks

• Jean says:

Does anybody know the name of Pant 5 (DON’T: Wear the growing Harem trend so tight you can’t even walk.) Jean Brand?

• Jan says:

Why cant people in U.S. be more inclusive. I think judging fashion is quite childish and blunt. People should be able to express themselves more in fashion like what the rest of the world is doing. Instead of being critical and trying to be closed and conformist. This is like a mindset of high school kids.

• That70sMan says:

OK, frankly people, we need to step the “skinny jean” up a notch and add bellbottoms to it. Why? because it is about time that we regain a piece of clothing that was and still is synonymous to men’s clothihg, before women stole it from the men. It is not fair that women are the only ones getting bellbottoms marketed towards them. And for me, I am brave enough to buy women’s jeans that are bellbottomed. Buying men’s vintage bells should also be an option, but it is time that men get back bellbottom jeans. I am not crazy about skinny jeans as much as I love bells. So if we want to do us a favor, let’s go back to the 70s full throttle. Peace out…

• Kristian says:

Hello!

I know this article said not to wear those harem pants but i’m in love with them! Where did the picture for THOSE EXACT pants come from? I want those EXACT pair.

• Hi everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and piece of writing is actually fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these types of articles or reviews.

• What you composed was actually very logical. However, think on this,
    what if you were to write a awesome headline? I mean, I don’t wish to
    tell you how to run your blog, but what if you added a title that makes
    people want more? I mean The Dos And Don’ts Of Men’s Skinny Jeans | DrJays.com Live |
    Fashion. Music. Lifestyle is kinda vanilla. You could look
    at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create article headlines
    to get people interested. You might add a video or a related
    picture or two to get readers interested about everything’ve got to say.
    In my opinion, it could bring your blog a little bit more
    interesting.

• Thanks to my father who shared with me on the topic of this webpage, this blog is in fact remarkable.

• Power IGF says:

When someone writes an post he/she retains the idea of a user in his/her mind that how a user can be aware of it.
    Thus that’s why this article is amazing. Thanks!

Feel free to visit my blog post; Power IGF