Full PlayStation Network Restoration Takes Effect This Week
If you own a PlayStation 3, you’re probably a brand loyalist to PlayStation and Sony who has tried to convince yourself that the PlayStation Network is just as good as Xbox Live. You have also probably tried to convince yourself that the PlayStation Move is just as good as the Xbox Kinect, but that’s another story. Unfortunately for us, the members of PlayStation Nation, neither of these things is really true. Moreover, we were forced to come to terms with that reality several weeks ago when the single biggest identity theft heist ever to occur in gaming history happened—to us. A total of 130 servers, 50 software programs, and 77 million accounts were compromised.
May 15 marked a restoration of the ability to play online—after receiving a firmware update and changing one’s password—but several of the other functions (most notably the PlayStation Store complete with the amenities—demos, videos, ability to purchase content—it provides) were still undergoing maintenance. However, by the end of this week, the network should be fully restored which is especially good news for broke PlayStation users who play demos religiously until their piggy banks will allow them to afford new games.
As a sign of good faith, the good folks at Sony are doing a few things to gain user trust again, as well as to show appreciation. In order to qualify, users must have had an account on or before April 20, 2011. The changes which do not include renaming the service the Damnation Network include providing free identity theft protection for a year and free content, including the following.
Free purchase/download of two of the following games for the PS3:
- Dead Nation
- Super Stardust HD
- WipeOut HD + Fury
Two of the following games may be downloaded for free by PSP users.
- LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
- ModNation Racers
- Pursuit Force
- Killzone Liberation
These games can be kept “forever” and will be available for all eligible users for 30 days after the PlayStation Store is reopened. Users who already own these titles are screwed, we guess.
Other than that, here’s a list of other customer appreciation features.
- A selection of “On Us” rental movie titles will be available to PlayStation Network customers over one weekend, where Video Service is available. Those titles will be announced soon.
- 30 days free PlayStation Plus membership for non PlayStation Plus subscribers.
- Existing PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive an additional 60 days of free subscription.
- Existing Music Unlimited Premium Trial subscription members will receive an additional 30 days of free premium subscription.
- Additional 30 days + time lost for existing members of Music Unlimited Premium/Basic subscription free of charge for existing Premium/Basic members.
- To welcome users Home, PlayStation Home will be offering 100 free virtual items. Additional free content will be released soon, including the next addition to the Home Mansion personal space, and Ooblag’s Alien Casino, an exclusive game.
Users who bought their consoles during the restoration of the network get no love, it seems. Oh well. PS Nation, welcome back!