The UFC Bring In Alistair Overeem To Fight Brock Lesnar On December 30
Last month we talked about the future of former Strikeforce heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem, after his release from the promotion. We wondered what would happen to the Dutchman and now we have our answer.
UFC President Dana White confirmed on Tuesday that Overeem has joined the UFC and will be taking on Brock Lesnar in a huge megafight on December 30th in Las Vegas.
“This is the fight the fans want,” White said. “Both of these guys are monsters. Can Lesnar take Overeem down?”
That has been a question on the minds of many ever since Overeem went on his run as Strikeforce champion. At 6’5″ and 260 lbs, Overeem is a monster with above average striking ability and the perfect recipe for Lesnar’s wrestling. Lesnar has been out of the sport since losing to current UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez last October and was unable to face Junior dos Santos for the #1 contender spot due to another bout with the intestinal disease diverticulitis. But with Lesnar’s health up to par, he will get another opportunity to be the #1 contender when he faces Overeem.
“Our thinking when we bought Strikeforce was to give fans the fights they want,” Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told the LA Times. “Obviously, Alistair’s one of the best heavyweights in the world, but he also has that ‘it’ factor—the tremendous look, he’s huge. It’s a star factor.”
Overeem will look to prove that he deserves to be in the UFC as many have doubted his level of competition to this point. Should he get past Lesnar, those questions will be silenced.
“Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a dream match up,” told Overeem to the LA Times after signing his UFC contract. “Brock’s a big guy, an exciting wrestler with his takedowns.” I want to see this fight myself. “Overall, I’m a different fighter: a striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course.”