Home » Sneakers

Why Do The Air Jordan 2012 Sneakers Cost $223?

Submitted by on February 5, 2012 – 5:44 pm10 Comments

The new Air Jordan 2012 sneakers are set to be released on February 8. And they’re not bad. With a wolf grey colorway and some bright yellow laces, they’ll standout on the basketball court this winter. That is, if anybody is actually crazy enough to buy them. I say that because the Air Jordan 2012 sneakers are going to cost an astounding $223—yes, $223!—when they’re released. That’s not a completely unprecedented price for a pair of sneakers. But, usually, sneaks that cost $223 are limited-edition or cost so much for a reason. These sneakers will be available at most sneaker spots, provided, of course, you’re willing to drop some major coin on them. And, to be honest, there’s nothing all that special about them.

With that in mind, I have to admit: I feel bad for kids today. And, while it seems crazy to even say this, I wish we could go back to the days when expensive basketball sneakers only cost $150. Now, that’s not to say that I was happy about those days, either. In my opinion—and I’m sure I’m not alone here—forcing parents to pay more than $100 for basketball sneakers is a crime. Especially when you consider how cheap it is for Nike and other sneaker companies to make them. However, at least when a sneaker cost $150 back in the day, you knew you were getting a sneaker that was one day going to be considered a classic. The Foamposite sneakers that used to run upwards of $180 come to mind here. But, now? It’ll cost you more than $100 just to get a regular old sneaker for playing ball in. And, if you want that sneaker to have an Air Jordan logo on it? It’ll cost significantly more.

I guess that’s what makes me so upset about the price of the Air Jordan 2012. Are the sneakers nice? Yes. Would I wear them on the basketball court? Sure. Do they look like a solid sneaker? I’ll give them that. But, two hundred and 23 freakin’ dollars for them? No way. Nothing about them makes me think they’re going to go down in basketball sneaker history. Nothing about them warrants a parent dropping the equivalent of a car payment on them. And, in this economy, I’m shocked that Jordan Brand would even try to get a parent to do it. So when these drop on February 8, I can’t say that I’d encourage you to buy them. Because for $223, I need to get more than just a sneaker that’s “not bad.” Please, Jordan Brand: Lower the price of these—or else I’m not buying them. And I don’t think too many other people will be buying them, either.

• James says:

Scav, you are an idiot. Do you ever go into any reason besides “wanting to have Air Jordan logo on it” that they are so expensive? No. Calling it a “regular old sneaker” that is going to require and extra $100 is very untrue because of the never-before seen implementations and the fact that numerous basketball shoes WITH A JORDAN LOGO are almost half the price. You failed to talk about the largest feature about the shoe in that you can pretty much change the shoe into a high top or low top, less cushioning but more responsive, or more cushioning but less responsive depending on what your preference is for anytime that you feel like it and change it on the fly. Your incredibly biased “review/preview” claims that they are just “not bad” to play basketball in. How would you know? You have played in them, let alone seen them in person. Your last sentence of the first paragraph, “And, to be honest, there’s nothing all that special about them.” shows your complete lack of knowledge of what you for some reason are writing about and making false/unknowledgeable allegations about.

• mars whiteman says:

These 2012 Air Jordans take lawnmowing shoes to the next level!

• Dave says:

I think it’s a crime to charge so much for Jordan’s. @James you’ve got to be out of your mind if you think a pair of shoes are going to make you that much better. Air Jordans are not going to fix your jump shot, will not make you jump higher, and will not develop your left hand for layups. It’s like saying those True Religion Jeans make you look better or that Tap Out T-Shirt makes you a great fighter. I’m a baller and I can tell you this straight up, I can take people off the dribble with a killer cross-over in a pair of cheap canvas Vans all day any day and it has nothing to do with the shoes. I guarantee you Jordans cost less than $20 to make but the marketing and paying the NBA players to use them cost the other $200 a pair. I’m also a doctor of sports medicine and treat professional athletes all the time. If you ask them what their favorite shoe or clothing line is they all say the same exact thing…The one that pays them the most to wear them.

• g money says:

the shoes are $223.00 because UNC Chapel Hill was founded in 1789 a little quick math gives you 223 years to 2012 for the University Blue Nikes, you’re welcome

• GP says:

@DAVE…I agree,

@GMONEY…that still wont make me purchase them for $223/no sir

@JAMES…perhaps your the idiot.

• It’s an remarkable piece of writing designed for all the online people; they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

• Awesome blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little
    lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform
    like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options
    out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post!

It is the little changes that make the largest
    changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

• Hello, I would like to subscribe for this blog to take most recent updates, so where can i do it please assist.

• Good way of explaining, and good piece of writing to obtain facts
    regarding my presentation topic, which i am going to present in institution of higher education.

Also visit my page Best Vape Pen