Do You Like The New Rules For The NBA Dunk Contest?
The 2014 NBA All-Star Weekend looks to have one of the most impressive collection of players for the Dunk Contest in over a decade. With 2013 winner Terrence Ross having to defend his crown against the likes of Paul George, John Wall, Harrison Barnes, Damian Lillard and Ben McLemore, it is expected to be loaded with excitement. But with a great field comes some new rules.
According to BlackSportsOnline.com, these are the new rules for the 2014 NBA Dunk Contest:
- Teams will be split up into East vs. West
- 1st RD with be “Freestyle” where participants can dunk as many times within 90 seconds.
- Judges select winning team in 1st rd and that team can decide to go first or second in “Battle Round”.
- In the “Battle Round” the Dunkers go head to head in East vs. West Matchup.
- Judges select winner from each battle and the loser is eliminated from competition.
- The 1st team that wins 3 battles wins the dunk contest.
- The Fans decide who was best dunker of the night.
This could go either way. I’m not entirely sure how the conferences will play into this, but it has some weird tournament-style format that could be pretty cool. We’ll see how it goes.