Watch Jay Z Introduce TIDAL Alongside Kanye West, Madonna, & More
Jay Z brought along a star-studded cast of artists to officially usher in his new music streaming application, TIDAL, at a press conference in NYC. The likes of Beyoncé, Kanye West, Rihanna, Usher, Calvin Harris, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, J. Cole, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk, Jack White, Deadmau5, Arcade Fire, and Jason Aldean all participated and you can see some of the conference below with some bullet points about the service.
- Tidal was launched in October 2014 by Aspiro – a Scandinavian company, which was bought by Jay Z in January 2015 for $56 million.
- Tidal is a music streaming service – you sign up for a monthly fee and are given access to a catalogue of music that can be streamed to your phone, tablet, laptop or desktop.
- Unlike Spotify, Tidal is owned by the artists who stream their music through it – hence the high-profile line-up of music stars at the event. Alicia Keys called the service “the first artist-owned global music and entertainment platform”, that would “create a better service and a better experience for both fans and artists”.
- Jay Z, Beyoncé, Madonna, Kanye West, Rihanna, Daft Punk, Nicki Minaj, Chris Martin, Usher, Jack White, Calvin Harris, Arcade Fire’s Win Butler, Deadmau5 and Alicia Keys were all in attendance and will all stream their music via Tidal.
- Expect exclusive music from the artists involved – many of whom have changed their Twitter avatars to the Tidal logo.
- In a big coup for Tidal, Taylor Swift’s music will be available to all subscribers – she famously removed her entire catalogue from Spotify in 2014.
- Tidal will cost users a £9.99 monthly subscription fee – there is no free service like Spotify, and there is a higher monthly fee if you’d like to use its high-resolution audio streaming.
Whether TIDAL survives or not is up in the air as multiple outlets believe that the streaming app is doomed (including TechCrunch).